- Last Updated on Thursday, 13 August 2015 08:28
Second Grade Literacy Curriculum
- Applies grade level phonics and word analysis skills to decode words.
- Reads accurately and fluently to support comprehension.
- Asks and answers questions about main ideas and key details in literary and informational text.
- Uses illustrations and text features to understand what is read.
- Describes how reasons support a specific point the author makes in a text.
- Compares & contrasts two versions of a story or two different texts on the same topic.
1. Write opinion pieces on topics or texts, supporting a point of view with reasons.
2. Write informational or explanatory text introducing a topic, using facts to make points, and providing a conclusion.
3. Write a narrative including a beginning, middle, and end, details to describe actions, thoughts, or feelings, and transition words.
4. Revises and edits a piece of writing using a variety of tools.
5. Uses grade appropriate capitalization and punctuation.
6. Spells grade level words correctly. Uses reference materials to check and correct spelling.
Speaking and Listening
1.Participate effectively in conversations on grade level topics and texts with peers and adults in small and large groups.
2.Speaking audibly tells a story or recounts an experience, with appropriate facts and details.
3.Prepares a presentation, including visual supports.
4.Expand vocabulary through conversations, reading and being read to.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools