- Last Updated on Tuesday, 15 February 2011 16:26
MEETING OF THE
MONTPELIER BOARD OF SCHOOL COMMISSIONERS
October 20, 2010
Minutes Approved: November 3, 2010
Board: Sue Aldrich, Carolyn Herz, Charlie Phillips, Steve Robinson, Rick Vanden Bergh, Lowell VanDerlip
Administration: Superintendent Mark Mason, Principal Pam Arnold, Facilities Director Lynn Ribolini
Student: Ben Rose
Public: Barbara Austin-Hutchins, Lyman Castle, Elizabeth MaGill, Maggie Morris, Angela Timpone, and others
Absent: John Hollar
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 7:07 p.m.
2. Adjust/Review Agenda Agenda item #6 will be changed from “Discuss Overseas Field Trips” to “Discuss Field Trips.” An Executive Session will be added prior to adjournment.
3. Public Comments None.
4. Student Presentation George Valentine and Paige Brigham, presidents of the Crafter’s Edge “The Next Generation”, presented their new web site and some of the products they are producing.
5. Visit with UES Parent Group Representative Elizabeth MaGill explained the three goals of the parent group and spoke about the current level of volunteerism. Projects and membership were also discussed.
6. Discuss Field Trips
a. Italy – Barbara Austin-Hutchins Barbara Austin-Hutchins provided cost information, an itinerary, and a travel alert warning for her proposed Grand Tour of Italy trip on April 15-24, 2011. Fundraising efforts were discussed. Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mr. Robinson, to approve Barbara Austin-Hutchins’ field trip request to Italy on April 15-24, 2011. Motion carried unanimously.
b. New York City – Lyman Castle Lyman Castle provided a handout detailing cost information and an itinerary for his proposed NYC trip on November 8-10, 2010. Transportation was discussed. Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mr. Robinson, to approve Lyman Castle’s field trip request to New York City on November 8-10, 2010. Motion carried unanimously.
7. Discuss Field Trip Parity Superintendent Mason presented a proposal for funding those field trips tied to the curriculum. There was consensus that in order for the district to help fund a trip, it must be a critical part of the learning process. Superintendent Mason will draft a policy for the board’s review and approval.
8. Visit with Facilities Director Facilities Director Lynn Ribolini provided a detailed account of the district-wide projects completed over the summer.
9. Review Enrollment, Projections and Staffing A handout was provided. Building capacity data was requested.
10. Superintendent’s Reports Superintendent Mason acknowledged that he still owes the board an indicator report for end #3. Dr. Stafford will attend the November 3rd meeting. A substitute pay rate comparison sheet was distributed. The district received 40 applications for the Director of Facilities position. Five candidates were interviewed today. Site visits will be conducted and visits with the board scheduled thereafter.
11. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of October 6, 2010
b. Financial Report
Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mr. VanDerlip, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the October 6, 2010 meeting and the FY11 first quarter financial report. Motion carried unanimously.
12. Executive Session On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 8:25 p.m., with the superintendent remaining. On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 8:32 p.m.
13. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 8:32 p.m.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools