- Last Updated on Tuesday, 15 February 2011 16:39
MEETING OF THE
MONTPELIER BOARD OF SCHOOL COMMISSIONERS
November 3, 2010
Minutes Approved: November 17, 2010
Board: Sue Aldrich, John Hollar, Charlie Phillips, Steve Robinson, Lowell VanDerlip
Administration: Superintendent Mark Mason
Student: Ben Rose
Public: Dr. Dale Stafford, Josh Crane
Absent: Carolyn Herz, Rick Vanden Bergh
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 7:06 p.m.
2. Adjust/Review Agenda Mr. Phillips would like to discuss a future agenda item. An Executive Session will be added prior to adjournment.
3. Public Comments None.
4. Student Presentation Josh Crane reported on his experience at the International Earth Science Olympiad in Indonesia.
5. Discussion with Dr. Dale Stafford Dr. Stafford spoke to the board about sports-related concussions. Guidelines for assessing concussions, managing concussions, cognitive rehab., and return to play decisions need to be clearly defined. Dr. Stafford stated that although Montpelier’s current policy in this regard is pretty good, it could use a little updating. Attendance of certified athletic trainers at sporting practices/events and refurbishing helmets were also discussed. Superintendent Mason promised to return in a few weeks with a policy and procedures recommendation.
6. Update on Joint Meeting with the Washington Central Supervisory Union Executive Committee Mr. Hollar provided a brief update on the recent meeting. A joint committee was appointed to develop a procedure/protocol associated with vetting priority ideas for collaboration.
7. Approve Signing of MEA Negotiated Agreement Mrs. Aldrich moved, seconded by Mr. VanDerlip, to approve the Montpelier Education Association Negotiated Agreement for 2010-2012. Motion passed 4-0, Mr. Robinson abstaining.
8. Indicator Report on End #3 A written report was provided and reviewed. Superintendent Mason will get the history on the Our Voices survey.
9. Superintendent’s Reports Superintendent Mason reported that the girls’ soccer team lost to Harwood in the semi-finals this afternoon with a great deal of dignity. Mr. Robinson commented that student behavior at the event was overall positive. Mr. Hollar expressed concern about the conduct of the boys’ soccer team this season. Superintendent Mason noted that three-quarters of the fall teams went to post season.
10. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of October 20, 2010
c. Tuition Waiver Request
Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mr. VanDerlip, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the October 20, 2010 meeting, Warrants 19 and 20 dated November 3, 2010 in the amounts of $913,808.37 and $35,558.86 respectively, and a tuition waiver request. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Announcements Mr. Hollar expressed interest in scheduling an outreach session with recent graduates over the December holiday break. These sessions have generated direct and insightful feedback in the past.
12. Future Agenda Item Mr. Phillips would like to discuss an initiative relative to community input for education. Mr. Phillips and Mr. Hollar will discuss how to frame something meaningful.
13. Executive Session On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 8:26 p.m., with the superintendent remaining. On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 8:46 p.m.
14. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 8:46 p.m.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools