- Last Updated on Tuesday, 15 February 2011 16:44
SPECIAL MEETING OF THE
MONTPELIER BOARD OF SCHOOL COMMISSIONERS
December 8, 2010
Minutes Approved: December 15, 2010
Board: Sue Aldrich, John Hollar, Charlie Phillips, Steve Robinson, Lowell VanDerlip
Administration: Superintendent Mark Mason, Principal Peter Evans, Principal Pam Arnold, Principal Owen Bradley, Curriculum Director Patty Gaston, Support Services Director Jessica Little, Business Manager Cindy Rossi
Student: Ben Rose
Public: Caleb Fairris, Sophia Scoppettone, Anne Watson
Absent: Carolyn Herz, Rick Vanden Bergh
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 7:09 p.m.
2. Adjust/Review Agenda No changes.
3. Public Comments None.
4. Student Presentation Two students from Anne Watson’s period 3-4 Chemistry in the Community class presented data in support of their argument for discontinuing the bottled water contract for the cooler in central office.
5. FY12 Budget Presentation and Discussion Superintendent Mason gave a PowerPoint presentation detailing the first draft of the FY12 budget. Presentation points included budgetary obstacles, Challenges for Change directives, initial assumptions, staffing and enrollment trends, history of budget increases, history of per-pupil increases, budget options, recommendations, ramifications of recommendations, estimated tax calculations and total revenue sources. The board must now decide whether or not to accept the administration’s recommendations. Several board members expressed a need for more information, i.e., specifics of cuts, before deciding. Cindy Rossi reminded the board of the December 15 deadline for telling the state whether or not the district plans to meet the Challenges for Change target. Mr. Hollar suggested scheduling a public forum to gather information prior to making any decisions. Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mrs. Aldrich, to approve the scheduling of a special school board meeting for budget talks on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 at 6:00 p.m., to be followed by a public comment period at 7:00 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.
6. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of December 1, 2010
Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mr. VanDerlip, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the December 1, 2010 meeting. Motion carried unanimously.
7. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 8:28 p.m.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools