- Last Updated on Tuesday, 15 February 2011 16:46
MEETING OF THE
MONTPELIER BOARD OF SCHOOL COMMISSIONERS
December 15, 2010
Minutes Approved: January 5, 2011
Board: Sue Aldrich, Carolyn Herz (by phone for part of meeting), John Hollar, Charlie Phillips, Steve Robinson, Rick Vanden Bergh, Lowell VanDerlip
Administration: Superintendent Mark Mason; Principals Pam Arnold and Peter Evans; Curriculum Director Patty Gaston; Support Services Director Jessica Little; Business Manager Cindy Rossi; Recreation Director Arne McMullen; Ginny Zahner (for Owen Bradley)
Public: Matt Brittenham, Bill Brooks, Andrew Bullard, Myles Chater, George Cook, Debra Hickey, Lee Lauber, Russell Leete, Dan Miller-Arsenault, Brian Murphy, Carol Paquette, Richard Sheir, Buzz Surwilo, and others
Absent: Ben Rose
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m.
2. Executive Session On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 6:30 p.m., with the superintendent remaining. On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 7:10 p.m.
a. Tuition Reduction Request
3. Return to Open Session 7:10 p.m.
4. Adjust/Review Agenda A second Executive Session will be added prior to adjournment.
5. Public Comments None.
6. Discuss Proposed Budgets
a. Recreation Department Mr. McMullen presented the Recreation Department’s proposed budget for FY12. The proposed FY12 budget is $838,061, a 3.11% increase over the FY11 budget. A handout detailing program offerings, a capital improvements five-year plan, and fund balance planning was provided. The proposed budget will be voted on at a future meeting.
b. School Handouts were provided. Mr. Phillips expressed concerns about the impact of cuts on the EEE program. Principal Arnold fielded questions about three reductions specific to MSMS (a 7/8 teacher, Crafter’s Edge and CBL). Mr. Phillips again noted the need for a blue ribbon committee to do a comprehensive assessment of co-curricular activities. The proposed budget being considered includes an athletic trainer position. Following discussion, the board elected to defer back to the administration for a recommendation about whether or not to fund such a position.
Federal funding and the Challenges for Change target were discussed. Proposals and counterproposals were exchanged. Mr. VanDerlip moved, seconded by Mr. Vanden Bergh, to direct the administration to return to the board with a budget that reflects no increase in Act 68 per-pupil spending from FY11. Motion carried unanimously.
7. Discuss Tuition Reduction Request On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to approve a tuition waiver with the qualifier discussed in Executive Session.
8. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of December 8, 2010
b. Teacher Resignation
i) John LeClair
Mr. VanDerlip moved, seconded by Mrs. Aldrich, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the December 8, 2010 special meeting, a teacher resignation, and Warrants 25 and 26 dated December 16, 2010 in the amounts of $681,686.26 and $19,767.06 respectively. Motion carried unanimously.
9. Executive Session On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 9:07 p.m., with the superintendent remaining. On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 9:15 p.m.
10. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 9:15 p.m.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools