- Last Updated on Wednesday, 04 May 2011 11:06
MEETING OF THE
MONTPELIER BOARD OF SCHOOL COMMISSIONERS
January 19, 2011
Minutes Approved: February 16, 2011
Board: Sue Aldrich, Carolyn Herz, John Hollar, Charlie Phillips, Steve Robinson, Rick Vanden Bergh
Administration: Superintendent Mark Mason
Public: Susan Beem
Absent: Ben Rose, Lowell VanDerlip
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 7:08 p.m.
2. Adjust/Review Agenda A leave of absence request will be removed from the consent agenda and discussed in Executive Session. The UES student presentation will be removed from the agenda.
3. Public Comments None.
4. Discuss Superintendent Limitations Report A written report was provided and reviewed. The Board requested that Superintendent Mason adjust the status of the limitation in regard to the understandability of the budget format from “to be determined by the Board” to “in compliance.” There was consensus to strike as unnecessary paragraph #8 of this policy. The Board requested that Superintendent Mason adjust the status of the limitation in regard to reducing the fund balance below two percent from “awaiting revision/removal” to “in compliance.” The Board wishes to maintain this limitation. The Board clarified that the limitation dealing with performance increases pertains to non-unionized employees.
a. 2.4 Financial Planning and Budgeting
5. Update on Teacher Supervision & Evaluation Process Superintendent Mason reported that the Montpelier Education Association (MEA) has agreed to form a small subcommittee to work with him on reviewing the current teacher supervision and evaluation process. Superintendent Mason will report back to the board with a recommendation prior to June 30, 2011.
6. Update on School Choice Opportunities Superintendent Mason has responded to those communities who have expressed an interest in sending their children to Montpelier. He will provide board members with a copy of his letter. Mr. Vanden Bergh suggested development of a financial model for future use.
7. Discuss Superintendent Search Process Mr. Hollar reported on a follow-up conversation with Commissioner Vilaseca. Mr. Hollar has submitted the letter asking for permission for the district to hire a superintendent. There is uncertainty as to whether or not the Commissioner is going to grant this request. There is further uncertainty as to whether or not he has the statutory authority to deny the request. Mr. Hollar asked Superintendent Mason to relay to Commissioner Vilaseca when they meet tomorrow the fact that the district is going to go ahead with hiring a superintendent.
8. Discuss Community Outreach The need for a structured process for generating feedback from the schools to the board was discussed. It was decided that the board will periodically attend parent group meetings at each school. A meeting schedule will be determined and reoccur automatically each year. Board attendance at parent group meetings will begin now and resume in the fall.
a. Class Size – First Reading Some board members expressed concern about the unintended consequences (i.e., limited course offerings) of a class size policy. Mr. Vanden Bergh expressed concern about the costs associated with running small classes. Superintendent Mason will define a few areas (high school classes and EEE) and report back to the Board in two weeks.
10. Action Items
a. Approve Recreation Department Budget Mrs. Aldrich moved, seconded by Mr. Phillips, to approve the FY12 Recreation Department budget in the amount of $838,061. Motion carried unanimously.
b. Approve Articles for City Vote Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mrs. Herz, to approve the articles as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
c. Approve Signing of Addendum to Montpelier Educational Support Staff Association FY11-FY12 Negotiated Agreement Mrs. Herz moved, seconded by Mr. Phillips, to approve an Addendum to the Montpelier Educational Support Staff Association Negotiated Agreement for 2010-2012. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of January 5, 2011
c. Quarterly Financial Report
d. Teacher Contracts
e. Teacher Leave of Absence Request
Mrs. Aldrich moved, seconded by Mr. Phillips, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the January 5, 2011 meeting, Warrants 29 and 30 dated January 20, 2011 in the amounts of $715,365.12 and $22,114.41 respectively, the FY11 second quarter financial report, the recommendation to offer teaching contracts to Kimberly Means (special educator – UES) and Kristie Leet (foreign language – MSMS), a teacher’s unpaid leave of absence request for the remainder of the 2010-2011 school year, and co-curricular contracts (see listing). Motion carried unanimously.
12. Announcements Superintendent Mason and Mr. Hollar are scheduled to meet with the City Council tomorrow night to present the school budget. Mrs. Aldrich announced that the school board is looking for two new members.
13. Executive Session On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 8:37 p.m., with the superintendent remaining. On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 8:42 p.m.
Mrs. Herz moved, seconded by Mr. Robinson, to approve a teacher’s unpaid leave of absence request for the 2011-2012 school year. Motion carried unanimously.
14. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 8:43 p.m.
Crafter’s Edge Advisor
Crafter’s Edge Advisor
Crafter’s Edge Advisor
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools