- Last Updated on Wednesday, 23 November 2011 11:23
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 7:08 p.m.
2. Adjust/Review Agenda The update on collaboration/consolidation efforts will be moved up on the agenda. Approval of a teacher contract will be added to the consent agenda.
3. Public Comments None.
4. Update on Collaboration/Consolidation Efforts Laurie Gossens, Superintendent of the Washington South Supervisory Union, and Justin Wrigley, Chairman of the Northfield School Board, attended tonight’s meeting for the purpose of discussing possible collaboration/consolidation opportunities with the Montpelier School District. Enrollment numbers for Roxbury and Northfield, per-pupil costs, leadership sharing and the possibility of mobile teachers were discussed. Mr. Phillips expressed interest in developing study committees to explore some of these issues further. Other board members voiced concerns about going through this exercise again given the lack of cost savings opportunities that were identified when Montpelier was engaged in similar discussions with Washington Central Supervisory Union. There was consensus to continue discussions with Washington South Supervisory Union with a focus on collaboration possibilities. The Montpelier Board will join the Northfield Board on November 7, 2011 for continued discussion. Superintendents Gossens and Ricca will develop talking points for that meeting.
5. Discussion with Director of Facilities Thom Wood Mr. Wood provided a quick overview of the capital improvement work completed over the summer. A sprinkler system and needed roof repairs at the MSMS building were discussed.
Regarding the Honeywell contract, the annual audit has been completed and this year Honeywell will be cutting the district a check for about $19,000. As a result of the audit, Honeywell has identified four items of corrective work that they are willing to pay for and two items that they would like the district to pay for.
Regarding the municipal heating initiative, Mr. Wood indicated there was $800,000 allocated in the bond for renovation work at UES.
6. Visit with MSMS Principal Principal Arnold presented a slideshow depicting happenings at MSMS since the beginning of school.
7. Superintendent’s Report Superintendent Ricca reported that at a meeting on October 18, 2011, the Vermont State Board of Education overwhelmingly voted to deny Commissioner Vilaseca’s request to study the impact of consolidation that would place the Washington Central Supervisory Union under consideration for a supervisory union boundary change.
Superintendent Ricca reported that he and other district administrators attended the Teacher-of-the-Year celebration at UVM today. Amy Kimball and Windy Kelley were the two teachers recognized this year for Montpelier.
Superintendent Ricca will solicit dates for a meeting with Laura Soares.
8. Discuss FY13 Budget Preliminary numbers were discussed. Staffing discussions are continuing. Mrs. Herz asked for clarity on the relationship between projected shortfall numbers to per-pupil costs and actual taxes.
9. Update on Municipal Heating Initiative Included in agenda item #5.
10. Discuss Student Achievement Recognition Deferred.
11. Appoint Board Succession Committee Mrs. Aldrich and Ms. Paquette volunteered to serve on this committee.
12. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of October 5, 2011
c. Quarterly Financial Report
d. Elizabeth Jackman Scholarship Fund
e. MHS Field Trip Requests
f. Teacher Contract
Mr. Jones made his standard request for presentations upon the students’ return from field trips. Mr. Jones moved, seconded by Mr. Phillips, to approve the consent agenda with editorial comments and including minutes of the October 5, 2011 meeting, Warrants 17 and 18 dated October 27, 2011 in the amounts of $1,022,526.79 and $25,571.60 respectively, the FY12 first quarter financial report, oversight of the Elizabeth Jackman Scholarship Fund, Andrea Myotte’s field trip request to Quebec City on February 2-5, 2012, Jody McGraw’s field trip request to Eden, New York on March 22-25, 2012, and the recommendation to offer a teaching contract to Elizabeth Chase (school nurse – MHS). Motion carried unanimously.
13. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
14. Executive Session On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 9:17 p.m., with the superintendent remaining. On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 9:50 p.m.
a. Contract Negotiations
b. Liability re: Athletics
c. Confidential Student Matter
15. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 9:50 p.m.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools