- Last Updated on Wednesday, 15 February 2012 10:27
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m.
2. Executive Session On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 6:30 p.m., with the superintendent remaining. On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 6:52 p.m.
a. Contract Matter
3. Return to Open Session 6:59 p.m.
4. Adjust/Review Agenda There will not be a student presentation.
5. Public Comments None.
6. Visit with the Montpelier Theatre Guild Carol Spradling and other members of the Montpelier Theatre Guild Board of Directors asked the School Board for a memorandum of understanding between the parties going forward. Their concerns center around recent changes to the theatrical space at UES, specifically removal and demolition of the stage apron and some lighting. Principal Bradley explained the reasons for the changes. Ms. Spradling requested that the parties work together to restore the space at UES by the end of June so that performances can take place. Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mr. VanDerlip, that the Theatre Guild and the School Board work together to formalize an agreement between the parties that recognizes the work of the Theatre Guild and its contributions to the city and the school system, and that preserves the relationship between the parties going forward. It was discussed and agreed that the Theatre Guild will draft the document. Motion carried unanimously, Mrs. Herz abstaining.
7. Update on Supervision of the Recreation Department Mrs. Aldrich and Mr. Jones reported on a recent meeting with the Bev Hill, city councilors, Arne McMullen and Buzz Surwilo. The City is interested, for collaboration and resource sharing purposes, in regaining oversight of the Recreation Department from the school department. The history on this issue is a bit unclear. Mr. Jones noted the need for a written product of discussions this time around. The parties are scheduled to meet again in May.
8. Update on Municipal Heating Initiative Mr. Jones reported that the city and the state have agreed on a contract. This sets the table for a more formal discussion with the school district. Further updates will be provided.
9. Discuss FY13 Draft School Budget Superintendent Ricca presented his proposal for spending approximately $120,000 of the additional $150,000 authorized by the Board. With these additions, the proposed FY13 budget totals $16,153,790.
10. Action Items
a. Approve School Budget Mrs. Herz moved to approve the FY13 budget as presented by the superintendent. Mr. Jones indicated he could not vote on approving a budget because he had not been provided with a copy of the actual budget document. He went on to indicate that he was willing to vote on approving a specific dollar amount to be used to support education in the district. Mr. Robinson asked if the proposal on the table included any money for the Community Connections program. Superintendent Ricca indicated that it did not, and went on to explain that he believed Community Connections had sufficient fund balance money to support programs at the schools for the upcoming year. With this explanation and following further discussion, Mr. Robinson indicated he was satisfied with the motion on the table and seconded it. Motion carried unanimously, Mr. Jones abstaining.
b. Approve Articles for City Vote Mrs. Herz moved, seconded by Mr. Robinson, to approve the articles as presented with insertion of the numbers discussed. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Discuss FY14 Budget Schedule A framework for next year’s budget process was discussed. Mr. Phillips noted the need for a work session on policy governance. Mr. Robinson would like to see the list of indicators pared down.
12. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of January 4, 2012
b. Minutes of January 11, 2012
d. Quarterly Financial Report
e. Teacher Contract
f. Co-Curricular Contracts
Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mrs. Herz, to approve the consent agenda excluding minutes of the January 11, 2012 special meeting and including minutes of the January 4, 2012 regular meeting, Warrants 29 and 30 dated January 19, 2012 in the amounts of $715,551.76 and $18,132.59 respectively, the FY13 second quarter financial report, the recommendation to offer a non-renewable teaching contract to Brigitte Orliac (foreign language - MSMS/MHS), and co-curricular contracts (see listing). Motion carried unanimously.
13. Approve Minutes of January 11, 2012 Mr. Jones requested the addition of language to agenda item #3 indicating support of an additional dollar amount for inclusion in the FY13 budget should not be viewed as an obligation to actually spend the money. Mr. VanDerlip moved, seconded by Mr. Jones, to approve the minutes of the January 11, 2012 special meeting with the additional language proposed by Mr. Jones. Motion carried unanimously.
14. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
- Mrs. Herz announced that this is her last meeting. Mrs. Aldrich commented that she’s been a fantastic board member and will be missed.
- Mr. VanDerlip indicated it would be helpful to receive additional background information in the board packet.
- Mr. Jones would like to begin the process of identifying projects for external funding.
15. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 8:48 p.m.
Solon Scope Co-Advisor
Solon Scope Co-Advisor
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools