- Last Updated on Tuesday, 10 April 2012 10:11
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 7:05 p.m. by Superintendent Brian Ricca.
2. Board Reorganization and Introduce New Board Members Superintendent Ricca opened nominations for Board Chair. Mr. Phillips nominated Mrs. Aldrich for Chair. There were no further nominations and Mrs. Aldrich was elected unanimously. Mrs. Aldrich introduced and welcomed new board member Jennifer Cahill Bean. Mr. VanDerlip nominated Mr. Robinson for Vice Chair. There were no further nominations and Mr. Robinson was elected unanimously. Mr. Robinson nominated Mr. VanDerlip for Treasurer. There were no further nominations and Mr. VanDerlip was elected unanimously. Mr. VanDerlip nominated Mr. Phillips for Parliamentarian. There were no further nominations and Mr. Phillips was elected unanimously.
3. Adjust/Review Agenda The superintendent’s report and bond discussion will be moved upward on the agenda. An update on policy governance will be added.
4. Public Comments None.
5. Superintendent’s Report
a. AP Information Superintendent Ricca provided information on AP proficiency scores. AP offerings were also discussed.
b. Principal Search Superintendent Ricca updated the Board on the process to date and going forward.
c. Director of Support Services Search A search will be initiated as soon as Ms. Little’s resignation is formalized.
6. Update on Policy Governance Superintendent Ricca and Mrs. Aldrich will meet with Jim Lovinsky next week. Mr. Lovinsky would like to attend the March 21 board meeting to talk about governance overall and then another meeting in April to talk specifically about policy governance.
7. Celebration of Service Superintendent Ricca presented Mr. Phillips with a nine year service award from the Vermont School Boards Association.
8. Discuss Bond Timing and possible projects for inclusion in a bond were discussed.
9. Update on Municipal Heating Initiative Mr. Jones expressed concern that the City may abandon this project given the recently received higher than expected cost figures. April 1 is the threshold date for whether or not the City says yes to the State. There are two City Council meetings between now and then. A comprehensive discussion about Union Elementary School is needed in order for the Board to give the City a definite answer about joining this project and Mr. Jones requested that the Board dedicate a significant amount of time on this at their next meeting on March 21. In the meantime, Mr. Jones would like the Board to communicate to the City Council that they wait at least two more weeks before making any decisions on the district energy project. Mr. Jones moved, seconded by Mr. Robinson, that the School Board request that the City Council refrain from making any decisions on the district energy project at their meeting on March 14, 2012 and use the additional two weeks to gain as much information as they can because it allows the schools an option for the source of heating its schools. Motion carried unanimously.
The City may consider delaying the connection of the heating plant to the High School for a later phase of the project. This delay may be necessary to reduce the capital costs of the project. Mr. Jones expressed that this phased in approach should not be a reason for the school to reject the overall project.
10. Update on Supervision of the Recreation Department Superintendent Ricca reported that the City Council has charged Bill Fraser with preparing a report on what it would look like if the City took different responsibility in regard to management of the Recreation Department. Superintendent Ricca is gathering information for the School Board on the ramifications to the school district under the same scenario. Mr. VanDerlip inquired about the possibility of a staffing analysis in regard to the Recreation Department.
11. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of February 15, 2012
c. Unpaid Leave of Absence Request
d. Teacher Resignation
i) Nancy Thein
Mr. VanDerlip moved, seconded by Mrs. Bean, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the February 15, 2012 meeting, Warrants 37 and 38 dated March 15, 2012 in the amounts of $457,482.96 and $25,951.11 respectively, and a teacher’s unpaid leave of absence request, and a teacher resignation. Motion carried unanimously.
12. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
- Congratulations to the girls’ basketball team on tonight’s playdown game win against U-32.
- The NEASC site visit begins on Sunday, March 18, 2012. Peter Evans has asked that as many board members as possible be available to meet with the visiting committee on that date from 2-5 p.m.
13. Executive Session On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 8:05 p.m., with the superintendent remaining. On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 9:15 p.m.
14. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 9:15 p.m.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools