- Last Updated on Wednesday, 16 May 2012 11:44
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 7:03 p.m.
2. Adjust/Review Agenda The superintendent’s report will be moved upward on the agenda. A discussion item regarding donated theater seats for the MHS auditorium will be added.
3. Public Comments Sandy Vitzthum and others members of the football community were in attendance to discuss the funding cut for the football program. Ms. Vitzthum said she had no idea such a cut was being considered and had assumed the program was going to be funded 100% for next year. She went on to indicate that it is her hope this miscommunication can be worked out. A brief discussion regarding the overall health of the program ensued.
4. Superintendent’s Report A written report was provided. Superintendent Ricca emphasized that this report was only a draft and requested clarity from the Board as to exactly what they are looking for from him going forward, i.e., information to be included in the reports, frequency of reports, etc. Mr. VanDerlip suggested that the reports include any loose ends from the prior meeting, narrative backgrounds for current agenda items, and information about future decisions that need to be made where the superintendent needs input from the Board. Mr. Jones echoed Mr. VanDerlip’s suggestions, indicating he was not looking for news from the schools to be included in the reports and those items could be cut.
5. Update on Municipal Heating Initiative Mr. Jones provided an update. The City has given the school district a price of $125,000 per year for three years. After three years, the City will work with the District to determine appropriate payments for future years based on other users and overall heat use. If UES does not participate, it will be very difficult for this project to move forward. The City Council plans on making a final decision on April 18, 2012.
Mr. Jones moved, seconded by Mr. VanDerlip, that the Montpelier School Board of Directors agrees to have the Union Elementary School hook up to the Montpelier district heat system during the summer of 2013 and start to receive heat from the system during the fall of that year. For the first three years of operation, the school district agrees that their financial commitment for fixed and variable costs is approximately $125,000 per year to the City. At the completion of the three years, the school district will work with the City to determine the appropriate payments for future years depending on the capacity needs and the overall heat use at the school. The school district remains interested in the possibility of including the Montpelier High School on the district heat system and recognizes that the first phase of the project will likely not include the high school. The school district recognizes that the details of the arrangement with the City will be worked out over the next few months and these include the requirements for the school to modify the heating distribution system at Union Elementary. Following discussion about retrofit and asbestos removal costs, the motion carried unanimously.
6. Discuss Bond Timeline Passed over.
7. Visit with Finalists for MHS Principal Position Superintendent Ricca thanked those members of the search committee who were present at the meeting and explained the process for tonight’s visit with the finalists. Each finalist gave a short presentation and then answered prepared questions from the Board. Following that, members of public were given an opportunity to ask questions of the finalists.
8. Discuss Donated Theater Seats for the MHS Auditorium Mrs. Aldrich advised that the theater seats being donated by the Flynn Center are being removed sooner than expected and will need to be stored somewhere until they are ready to install.
9. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of March 21, 2012
i) Britt Nielsen
ii) Devin Wendel
d. Teacher Contract List
e. Recreation Center Windows Bid
f. Co-Curricular Contracts
Mr. VanDerlip moved, seconded by Mrs. Bean, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the March 21, 2012 meeting, Warrants 41 and 42 dated April 12, 2012 in the amounts of $529,958.94 and $16,778.16 respectively, resignations, the teacher contract list, Bob Wells’ bid in the amount of $7,115.00 for window painting at the Recreation Center, and co-curricular contracts (see listing). Motion carried unanimously.
10. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
- Superintendent Ricca asked the Board for their input on an initiative being floated by the Administrative Team regarding a district-wide late start on Wednesdays for professional development. Mr. Jones and Mr. VanDerlip expressed concerns about the impact of late starts on families at the elementary level.
11. Executive Session On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 9:23 p.m., with the superintendent remaining. On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 11:15 p.m.
a. Appointment of Employee
12. Return to Open Session 11:15 p.m.
a. Appointment of Employee On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to offer Adam Bunting a contract for the position of principal at Montpelier High School.
13. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 11:17 p.m.
Baseball: Assistant Varsity Coach
Tennis, Girls: JV Coach
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools