- Last Updated on Wednesday, 16 May 2012 11:45
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 6:34 p.m. by Vice Chairman Steve Robinson.
2. Executive Session Mr. VanDerlip moved, seconded by Mr. Jones, to enter Executive Session at 6:34 p.m., with the superintendent remaining. Motion carried unanimously. Mr. VanDerlip moved, seconded by Mr. Phillips, to leave Executive Session at 7:09 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.
3. Return to Open Session 7:11 p.m.
4. Adjust/Review Agenda A discussion item in regard to the May 2nd meeting will be added.
5. Public Comments None.
6. Update on Municipal Heating Initiative Mr. Jones advised that the City is making a decision tonight on whether or not to go forward with the State. Mr. Jones expects to have further information to report at the next meeting on May 2nd. Superintendent Ricca will get out an RFP for the asbestos abatement work at Union Elementary School.
7. Discuss Board Role at District Level Searches Superintendent Ricca reported that the Director of Support Services position has been posted and advertised. Superintendent Ricca asked for clarity on what role, if any, the Board wants to play in district-level searches. Mr. Jones supports a process similar to what was just done for the MHS principal search, i.e., final candidates recommended to the Board by a committee. If board members are also interested in serving on a committee, Mr. Jones suggested limiting the number to two. Following discussion, it was agreed that this will be the process for administrative team level searches and up, and that there will be no board input for searches below this level. Superintendent Ricca will draft policy language around this process for review at the second meeting in May. Mrs. Bean volunteered to serve on the hiring committee for the Director of Support Services search.
8. Discuss May 2, 2012 Meeting Superintendent Ricca inquired as to how the Board wanted to proceed in regard to the next meeting scheduled for May 2nd, i.e., go ahead, cancel or reschedule, in light of the fact that he is going to be away on vacation. Mr. Jones said it was his desire to go ahead with the meeting in part because of the district heat project. He also suggested that the meeting time be used to hear about Tom Sabo’s and John Bloch’s projects. Mr. Phillips suggested a board discussion about policy governance as a follow-up to tonight’s discussion.
9. Policy Governance Discussion – Jim Lovinsky Mr. Lovinsky provided some additional training for the Board on the policy governance model.
10. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of April 4, 2012
i) Jody McGraw
ii) David McGraw
d. Quarterly Financial Report
e. Co-Curricular Contract
Mr. VanDerlip moved, seconded by Mrs. Bean, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the April 4, 2012 meeting, Warrants 43 and 44 dated April 19, 2012 in the amounts of $820,674.88 and $9,953.01 respectively, two teacher resignations, the FY13 third quarter financial report, and a co-curricular contract (see listing). Motion carried unanimously.
11. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
- Mr. Phillips announced that the Montpelier Education Association and the School Board are at impasse in regard to teacher negotiations.
- Four of the nine indoor track athletes recently recognized by the Times Argus are from Montpelier.
- The student performance at the Boosters Dinner was awesome.
12. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 9:03 p.m.
Lacrosse, Boys: Assistant Varsity Coach
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools