- Last Updated on Thursday, 21 June 2012 11:25
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 7:03 p.m.
2. Adjust/Review Agenda Principal Bradley suggested moving the tour of the UES heating plant to the final item on the agenda.
3. Public Comments None.
4. Student Presentation Mrs. Wrigley and her first grade class – accompanied by Mr. Boffa and supported by Ms. Sales – sang their My Animal song for the Board.
5. Visit with Tom Sabo and John Bloch Mr. Sabo shared his work on his sustainability project. The work involves ways of teaching the concept of sustainability across the curriculum. It is an evolving project. Mr. Sabo hopes to eventually use the project as a curriculum model for other school districts. Mr. Jones asked that Mr. Sabo bring to him any needs for this project as he continues his work.
Mr. Bloch discussed the possibility of establishing a digital high school at MHS. Under this fully interactive system, online classes are bought and sold. Courses are pre-examined and approved by the Department of Education. There is no limit on the number of courses that can be purchased or sold. The annual cost for a digital high school is approximately $5,200.
6. Discuss Policy Governance Model The need and process for reestablishing an annual calendar was discussed. Mr. Robinson acknowledged that although an annual calendar is important, the Board needs to develop a longer-term infrastructure for determining how to monitor and adhere to it. Mr. Jones suggested designating one ends policy per month on which to receive a report and then identifying ways to make improvements. Mr. VanDerlip believes the policy governance model keeps the Board focused on the right things, but feels the Board lacks the discipline to carry through with it. In that regard, Mr. VanDerlip volunteered to begin work on an annual calendar to guide the Board in its work. Mr. Phillips, Ms. Paquette and Mrs. Bean agreed to work with Mr. VanDerlip on this project. Once drafted, the calendar will be presented to the full Board for its consideration. Mr. Robinson requested that every board member take 5-10 minutes to write down what policy governance means to him or her.
7. Update on Municipal Heating Initiative Passed over.
8. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of April 18, 2012
i) Jonathan McDonald
ii) Neil Rosenblad
d. Co-Curricular Contract
Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mr. Jones, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the April 18, 2012 meeting, Warrants 45 and 46 dated May 10, 2012 in the amounts of $656,000.00 and $38,000.00 respectively, two teacher resignations, and a co-curricular contract (see listing). Motion carried unanimously.
9. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
- Mr. VanDerlip acknowledged the emails regarding the football program and requested a clear statement from the superintendent or the school as to where we are headed.
10. Tour UES Heating Plant A tour was taken.
11. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 9:20 p.m.
Enrichment for UES
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools