- Last Updated on Thursday, 21 June 2012 11:33
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m.
2. Executive Session On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 6:30 p.m., with the superintendent remaining. On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 7:12 p.m.
a. Contract Negotiations
3. Return to Open Session 7:12 p.m.
4. Adjust/Review Agenda Addition of two discussion items regarding next year’s calendar and late start on Wednesdays beginning in the fall. Addition of Minutes of the May 8, 2012 special meeting to the consent agenda. Superintendent Ricca suggested that the Board take some time during the meeting to visit the MHS art show taking place in the gymnasium this evening.
5. Public Comments None.
6. Discuss Youth Risk Behavior Survey Results Ivy Zeller and Kim Martin from the Central Vermont New Directions Coalition presented the 2011 survey data.
Break: 7:20-7:57 p.m. Board members visited the art show.
7. Discuss Policy Governance Model Mrs. Aldrich recognized the importance of putting together an annual calendar to structure the year as an essential first step. Mr. Robinson noted the need for a meaningful core group of indicators so that data can be assessed on an annual basis and carried over from year to year.
8. Hear Annual Calendar Subcommittee Report Mr. VanDerlip reported that the subcommittee met on May 8, 2012 and discussed an annual work calendar to address information the Board would find useful to receive on a regular basis regarding management of the school district. Items discussed included national, state, and local assessment results, scheduling an annual retreat, conducting school board meetings in all three schools, student presentations and interactions with students K-12, an annual budget meeting early in the budget cycle, and meetings in March to review policy governance.
9. Discuss Bond Timeline Re: Heating Initiative There are reserve funds available to pay for the asbestos abatement work. The district will need to bond for the other work that needs to be done in order to hook on to the system. A November versus March bond vote date was discussed. Mr. Phillips asked if there were other items that the Board should consider including in the bond. Superintendent Ricca reported that Thom Wood, Director of Facilities, is in the process of identifying and compiling a list of projects. Superintendent Ricca will invite Mr. Wood to the next meeting so that he can review this list with the Board.
10. Discuss 2012-2013 Calendar A draft calendar was provided. Superintendent Ricca reported that this calendar is essentially a carbon copy of the current year calendar, with the exception of the inservice and parent conference dates in October. The proposal is to flip those dates for next year. Mr. VanDerlip moved, seconded by Mr. Phillips, to approve the calendar for the 2012-2013 school year as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Discuss District-wide Late Start on Wednesdays for 2012-2013 Superintendent Ricca requested feedback from the Board on his proposal for a district-wide late start on Wednesdays beginning in the fall of 2012. The purpose of this initiative is to provide teachers with additional professional development time. The focus of the professional development will be the Common Core and Professional Learning Communities. Student drop-off times on the late start days will not change. Support staff will provide student supervision during this time. Superintendent Ricca informed the Board that some of the scheduling issues at UES are already being addressed. Mr. VanDerlip indicated that although he has no intentions of opposing this plan, he does have concerns about it. He suggested a two-year approach, and then reexamining.
12. Review and Discuss Action Plan A copy of the district’s Action Plan was provided.
13. Action Item
a. Resignations/Intent to Rehire Mr. Jones moved, seconded by Mr. VanDerlip, to approve two teacher requests to resign from their current FTE positions and be rehired at reduced FTE positions for the 2012-2013 school year. Motion carried unanimously.
14. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of May 2, 2012
b. Minutes of May 8, 2012
d. Unpaid Leave of Absence Requests
e. Teacher Contracts
f. Co-Curricular Contract
Mr. VanDerlip moved, seconded by Mr. Phillips, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the May 2, 2012 regular meeting, minutes of the May 8, 2012 special meeting, Warrants 47 and 48 dated May 24, 2012 in the amounts of $656,521.80 and $26,825.78 respectively, three unpaid leave of absence requests, the recommendation to offer teaching contracts to Allison Havens (science – MHS), Katherine Chabot (science – MHS), Whitney Machnik (math – MHS/MSMS), Joy Partridge (school nurse – UES), Brigitte Orliac (foreign language – MSMS) and Lisa Cassetty (language arts – MSMS) and a co-curricular contract (see listing). Motion carried unanimously.
15. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
- Policy governance discussion nowhere near as exciting as the art show (Mr. VanDerlip)
- A suggestion was made to coordinate a board meeting with UES KinderArt.
- More and more track and field kids from MHS doing well (Mrs. Aldrich).
- Field trip participants need to present to the Board (Mr. Jones).
- Mr. Jones suggested extending an invitation to graduating seniors through their teachers to share with the Board a reflection of their time at MHS. This could be done via a brief, two-minute presentation at a board meeting, through a writing, or even by submitting a video.
16. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 8:57 p.m.
Homework Club Advisor
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools