- Last Updated on Monday, 09 July 2012 16:13
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m.
2. Executive Session On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 6:00 p.m., with the superintendent remaining. On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 7:13 p.m.
a. Contract Negotiations
3. Return to Open Session 7:13 p.m.
4. Adjust/Review Agenda The student presentation will take place before the public comments portion of the meeting. Other agenda items will be prioritized and addressed as time allows.
5. Student Presentation Mr. Baginski and members of his sixth grade class presented some science experiments.
6. Public Comments Members of the football team spoke about the budget cut to the football program for FY13. Discussion ensued. Superintendent Ricca acknowledged some miscommunication about the cut and agreed to restore some of the funding for the football program from budgeted funds for the girls’ ice hockey program which will not field a team for FY13.
7. Discuss Potential Bond Items Mr. Wood performed a multi-pronged capital needs assessment on the buildings. A listing of these items was distributed. The list was divided into two sections, health and safety items and maintenance items. Following discussion, Mr. Robinson expressed the need to quantify things and understand how serious the deficiencies are. Mr. Wood acknowledged that the paybacks are not going to cover the improvements. Superintendent Ricca will put together some numbers for the next meeting with different scenarios for funding a bond. Mr. Robinson questioned how our district compares to others in terms of outstanding debt. Mr. Jones rationed that one reason for doing some of these items now is the low interest rates.
8. Update on RFP for Asbestos Removal at UES Mr. Wood explained that there are seven qualified asbestos contractors in the State of Vermont. Of the seven, four bidders showed up and the district received proposals from three. Mr. Wood is going to perform additional reference checks on the lowest bidder.
9. Discuss Unwarned Meeting of Quorum of Board Members Mrs. Aldrich informed the public of a small error in not properly warning a committee meeting of the Board. This committee will be making a public report at the next scheduled board meeting on June 20th.
10. Discuss Framework for Obtaining Graduate Feedback Superintendent Ricca asked the Board to generate questions that might help guide what information they are looking for when the graduates come to speak. Board members will send this information to Superintendent Ricca by early next week. Mr. Jones asked the student representative, Meghan Wingate, to also ponder the type of questions she thinks kids might want to answer, or a framework for obtaining graduate feedback.
11. Authorize the Board Chairman and/or the Board Clerk/Treasurer to Sign Warrants Mr. Jones moved, seconded by Mr. Phillips, to authorize the Board Chairman or the Board Clerk/Treasurer to sign warrants on behalf of the entire Board between scheduled meetings. Motion carried unanimously.
12. Update on Director of Support Services Search Of the four candidates interviewed, two were selected for second interviews. One of those candidates withdrew, leaving only one finalist. At this point the search is on hold. The current plan is to hire a consultant for the month of July, and reopen the search for an interim director to begin August 1st.
13. Set Annual Calendar A draft calendar of board meeting dates for next year was provided. Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mr. Robinson, to approve the annual calendar as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
14. Discuss Guidelines for Future Report on Superintendent Limitations Policy 2.1 The Board authorized Superintendent Ricca to interpret the limitations and provide evidence as he deems fit. The Board will then decide if the superintendent has demonstrated compliance to their satisfaction or if they need further investigation.
a. Harassment – First Reading
Superintendent Ricca advised that the policy language presented has been reviewed and approved by counsel’s office at the Department of Education. There were no changes or objections. The policy will be warned for vote on adoption.
16. Update on Community Connections Passed over.
17. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of May 16, 2012
i) Lloyd Dugger
ii) Nancy Reagan
iii) Rachael Keaton
d. Teacher Contracts
e. Copier Contract Renewal
Mr. Jones moved, seconded by Mrs. Bean, to approve the consent agenda excluding the copier contract renewal and including minutes of the May 16, 2012 regular meeting, Warrants 49 and 50 dated June 7, 2012 in the amounts of $590,106.63 and $20,177.33 respectively, three teacher resignations, and the recommendation to offer teaching contracts to Cailin O’Hara (music – MHS/MSMS) and Sam Bromley (science – MHS). Motion carried unanimously.
18. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
- Congratulations to the girls’ tennis team on their state championship!
- Graduation/step-up ceremonies for the district schools are June 13 at UES, June 14 at MSMS and June 15 at MHS.
- Mr. Phillips and Mr. Jones will be attending the state education meeting in July to present a proposal for consideration around the traditional reduction in force.
19. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 9:12 p.m.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools