- Last Updated on Thursday, 20 December 2012 13:26
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m.
2. Executive Session On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 6:30 p.m., with the superintendent remaining. On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 7:07 p.m.
a. Tuition Waiver Request
3. Return to Open Session 7:07 p.m.
4. Adjust/Review Agenda The student presentation was removed from the agenda. A second Executive Session was added prior to adjournment.
5. Public Comments Several parents of second graders at Union Elementary School were in attendance to share with the Board concerns about what they are seeing from their children seven weeks into the school year. Parents said their students are bored and unhappy this year and they attribute this to class size, saying second grade classes are too big. In an effort to remedy the situation, the parents asked the Board to consider adding another teacher. In lieu of that, Superintendent Ricca suggested assigning four teaching coaches already employed at the school, one for each second grade classroom, to observe and help the teachers. This would provide for another set of eyes in the classrooms to find out what is going on and offer assistance. In an effort to continue addressing behavioral issues, Superintendent Ricca suggested hiring a consultant from Washington County Mental Health to sit in on the classes, relay observations to the teacher and administration, and make suggestions about how to address problems. Superintendent Ricca also said he would hire another teacher if directed by the Board. Mr. Robinson expressed concerns about pulling children from their current classes and putting them into a new class in the event another teacher is hired. Following lengthy discussion, the Board directed Superintendent Ricca to initiate the search for a fifth second grade teacher, and to focus the four teaching coaches on the second grade classrooms as soon as possible. Before deciding on a new teacher or the consultant, the Board requested a report at the next scheduled meeting on November 7, 2012 where the coaches and teachers will provide their feedback.
6. Discuss Field Trip
a. Student Council Leadership Retreat to Franconia, New Hampshire – Myles Chater Trip information was provided. Mr. Jones requested a brief report from the students upon their return. Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Ms. Paquette, to approve Myles Chater’s field trip request to Franconia, New Hampshire on October 28-29, 2012. Motion carried unanimously.
7. Discuss Athletics with MHS Athletic Director and Athletic Trainer Passed over.
8. Action Item
a. Adoption of Policy – Prevention of Harassment of Students Mr. Robinson moved, seconded by Mr. Phillips, to approve the Prevention of Harassment of Students policy for adoption. Motion carried unanimously.
9. Discuss Class Size Policy See public comments section above.
10. Discuss Potential Bond Passed over.
11. Discuss Calendar Draft Passed over.
12. Discuss National Honor Society Passed over
13. Discuss Limitations Reports Passed over.
14. Discuss Administrator Contracts Passed over.
15. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of October 3, 2012
i) Emme Erdossy
ii) Dana De Martino
d. Teacher Contract
e. Unpaid Leave of Absence Request
f. Act 154 Account
Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mr. Jones, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the October 3, 2012 regular meeting, Warrants 17 and 18 dated October 25, 2012 in the amounts of $1,052,333.49 and $30,724.84 respectively, two resignations, the recommendation to offer a teaching contract to Sarah Mele (school nurse - UES), an unpaid leave of absence request, and an Act 154 account. Motion carried unanimously.
16. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
17. Executive Session On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 9:28 p.m., with the superintendent remaining. The purpose of this Executive Session is to continue a discussion from an Executive Session requested at the previous meeting on October 3, 2012. It was decided that the Board would not return to open session for any formal action on this matter, but rather that Superintendent Ricca would inform the interested party of the Board’s decision by written communication. On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 9:45 p.m.
18. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 9:45 p.m.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools