- Last Updated on Friday, 29 January 2010 14:51
MONTPELIER BOARD OF SCHOOL COMMISSIONERS
Minutes Approved: January 20, 2010
Board: Sue Aldrich, Carolyn Herz, John Hollar, Charlie Phillips, Steve Robinson, Rick Vanden Bergh, Lowell VanDerlip
Administration: Interim Superintendent Peter Evans, Business Manager Cindy Rossi, Recreation Director Arne McMullen
Student: Sarah Richardson
Public: Lisa Cassetty, Jeff Grey, Cheryl Holt, Norris Holt, Brian Murphy, Vivian Ladd Tomasi, Sandy Vitzthum, and others
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m.
2. Executive Session On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 6:00 p.m., with the interim superintendent remaining. On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 7:04 p.m.
3. Return to Open Session 7:04 p.m.
4. Adjust/Review Agenda Update on the Main Street Middle School grading system will be moved upward on the agenda. Addition of a discussion item regarding proposed language for the enVision Montpelier report. A second Executive Session will be added prior to adjournment.
5. Public Comments None.
6. Update on Main Street Middle School Grading System Sandy Vitzthum, on behalf of approximately thirty middle school families, addressed the board regarding the abrupt change in the grading system at Main Street Middle School and requested that the administration return to the previous grading system immediately. Ms. Vitzthum shared the following concerns: the process gave no advance notice; students, parents and teachers need an opportunity to become familiar with the new system before it is implemented; unacceptable to switch grading systems in the middle of the year; unacceptable that the middle school teachers are not on board and not prepared for the change. Interim Superintendent Evans responded. Vivian Ladd Tomasi commented on the lack of sensitivity in the new system. Mr. Vanden Bergh advocated for implementing the new system while maintaining the old system. The board requested a report from Principal Arnold at the next meeting responding to the concerns expressed tonight.
7. Discuss Proposed Budgets
a. Recreation Department Mr. McMullen presented the Recreation Department
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools