- Last Updated on Wednesday, 17 April 2013 15:32
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m.
2. Executive Session On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 6:30 p.m., with the superintendent remaining. On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 7:03 p.m.
a. Contract Negotiations
3. Return to Open Session 7:03 p.m.
4. Adjust/Review Agenda No changes.
5. Public Comments None.
6. Student Presentation The Board attended a few minutes of the dress rehearsal for the upcoming play at the high school.
7. Presentation of FY14 Recreation Department Budget – Arne McMullen Mr. McMullen and members of the Advisory Board presented the Recreation Department’s proposed budget for FY14. The proposed FY14 budget is $819,301, a 0.46% increase over the FY13 budget. Program participation rates were discussed. Mr. Jones requested participation rate detail which Mr. McMullen promised to generate and disseminate. Mr. Jones applauded Mr. McMullen and the Advisory Board for producing a level-funded budget with increased participation rates. The Recreation Department Advisory Board is considering a second appropriation request for a facility study of 55 Barre Street and Mr. McMullen requested an opportunity to return in January to discuss this further.
8. Discuss Proposal for Renaming Recreation Department Baseball Field – Brian Gallagher, Vermont Mountaineers General Manager Mr. Gallagher presented a proposal for changing the name of the home baseball field for the Vermont Mountaineers from the Montpelier Recreation Field to Robin Roberts Park. Historical and background information in regard to the field and Robin Roberts was provided. The Recreation Board favors the name change. Mr. Robinson asked if any other names had been floated or if any objections or concerns about the renaming had been heard; Mr. Gallagher replied that he had not heard any. Mr. VanDerlip moved, seconded by Mr. Phillips, to approve renaming of the Montpelier Recreation Field to Robin Roberts Park. Motion carried unanimously.
9. Discuss Bond Items – MPS Director of Facilities Thom Wood The Board began the task of reviewing and realigning the list of Phase I, Phase II and Phase III items. Mr. Robinson cited the difficulty in making reasonable recommendations in regard to a proposed bond until he has a better idea of what is going to be on the other side of the ballot. Superintendent Ricca will generate a few different scenarios and provide board members with year 1 and year 2 tax impacts for the proposed bond. Mr. VanDerlip suggested that board members email their realignment suggestions for the Phase I, Phase II and Phase III items to either Superintendent Ricca or Mr. Wood. The possibility of separating the required work at UES from the City’s contract with Kingsbury Construction was discussed briefly.
10.Presentation of FY14 Community Connections Budget Ginny Burley and Bill Merrylees presented Community Connections’ proposed budget for FY14.
11. Discuss Status of Football at MPS MHS Athletic Director Matt Link, with Principal Bunting’s support, presented his recommendation for moving the football program to the JV level. Mr. Link explained that he intended to present this recommendation to the VPA on Friday, December 7. Football coach John Murphy expressed his displeasure with this decision. Participation numbers, safety concerns, and questions regarding the ability of upperclassmen to play at the JV level were discussed. Following discussion, board members expressed support for Mr. Link’s recommendation to the VPA to move the football program to the JV level.
12. Update on FY14 School Budget Superintendent Ricca reported that a simple rollover of the FY13 budget with no additional spending presented a budget at more than $500,000 over the two-vote provision. The Administrative Team is still looking at programmatic changes. Mr. Jones asked for a budget on December 19th that allows for $200,000 of other spending and the bond payment, but remains under the two-vote provision. Mr. VanDerlip requested information on the curve of the budget, per-pupil expenditures, and the effect on the tax rate over six or seven years.
13. Discuss Religious Observances Superintendent Ricca asked the Board for clarity on an issue involving a scheduled field trip at MSMS. The Board previously requested scheduling of overnight field trips for weekends in an effort to minimize interruption of academics. In the case at hand, some parents have asked that a scheduled overnight field trip be moved because of a religious observance that takes place on the Saturday of the weekend of the scheduled trip. Following discussion, there was consensus to make no adjustments to the scheduled overnight field trip at MSMS.
14. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of November 14, 2012
c. Unpaid Leave of Absence Request
d. MHS Dishwasher Bid
e. Co-Curricular Contract
Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mr. VanDerlip, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the November 14, 2012 regular meeting, Warrants 23 and 24 dated December 6, 2012 in the amounts of $501,677.81 and $14,643.29 respectively, an unpaid leave of absence request, Kittredge’s bid in the amount of $15,070.39 for replacement of the dishwasher at MHS, and a co-curricular contract (see listing). Motion carried unanimously, Mr. Robinson absent.
15. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
- Visiting the play rehearsal was inspiring, energy was electric. (Mr. VanDerlip)
- Allotting a certain amount of time for agenda items would assist in staying on task. (Mr. VanDerlip)
- The school district or the Board needs to do everything possible so that the VPA does not brush aside the ability of seniors to play football somewhere else if they so desire. (Mr. Robinson)
16. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 10:12 p.m.
Basketball, Boys: JV Coach
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools