- Last Updated on Friday, 15 February 2013 11:45
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m.
2. Executive Session On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 6:00 p.m., with the superintendent remaining. On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 7:07 p.m.
a. Contract Negotiations
b. Evaluation of Employee
3. Return to Open Session 7:07 p.m.
4. Adjust/Review Agenda Addition of an action item to approve signing of the AFL-CIO Local 1369 FY13 Negotiated Agreement.
5. Public Comments Greg Walsh inquired about the progress or decision in regard to the situation in a fifth grade classroom at Union Elementary School. Mrs. Aldrich indicated no decision has been made at this point and apologized for the lack of a more definitive answer. She hopes to have something further to report at the next meeting on January 9, 2013.
6. Discuss FY14 Community Connections Budget Bill Merrylees indicated he was not in a position to offer a revised budget from the one previously presented. Mr. Merrylees explained that the budget presented at the meeting on December 5th contained many cuts and any further reductions would be detrimental to the program. Community Connections’ funding request for FY14 remains at $167,268.
7. Discuss Bond Items – MPS Director of Facilities Thom Wood A draft list of capital improvement bond items for FY14 was distributed.
8. Presentation of FY14 School Budget Superintendent Ricca and the Administrative Team presented the first draft the FY14 school budget. Community members voiced opposition to a few of the proposed cuts. The draft budget does not trigger the two-vote provision, but at the same time does not include an interest payment for a proposed bond, funding for Community Connections, or funding for an additional teacher at UES to address ongoing concerns in regard to the current year’s large second grade class. Mr. Robinson requested a board discussion about the two-vote provision. Amy Tatko said nothing has changed in the second-grade classrooms. Mrs. Aldrich acknowledged and expressed sensitivity for the group of parents who have not been as vocal on this issue and who do not support the change to five second-grade classrooms. Mr. Robinson moved, seconded by Mr. Phillips, to approve the hiring of the fifth second-grade teacher as presented. The motion passed 4 to 2, Mrs. Aldrich and Mr. Jones opposing, Mr. VanDerlip abstaining due to his involvement in the hiring process but acknowledging his endorsement of the candidate now and going forward. Following discussion about the bonds and Community Connections, the Board directed Superintendent Ricca and the Administrative Team to return to the next meeting with a proposed budget under the two-vote provision but with additions including the interest payment for a bond and funding for a fifth third-grade teacher for next year. The Board also asked to see a budget above the two-vote provision including the aforementioned additions, an interest payment for a second bond, and funding for Community Connections.
9. Action Item
a. Approve Signing of AFL-CIO Local 1369 FY13 Negotiated Agreement Mr. Jones moved, seconded by Mr. Phillips, to approve signing of the AFL-CIO Local 1369 FY13 Negotiated Agreement. Motion carried unanimously.
10. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of December 5, 2012
c. Teacher Contract
d. NSB Scholarship Fund
Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mr. Jones, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the December 5, 2012 regular meeting, Warrants 25 and 26 dated December 20, 2012 in the amounts of $813,518.91 and $22,537.73 respectively, Warrants 27 and 28 dated January 3, 2013 in the amounts of $555,000.00 and $24,500.00 respectively, the recommendation to offer a teaching contract to Brigitte Orliac (foreign language – MSMS), and oversight of the Northfield Savings Bank scholarship fund. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
- The next board meeting is January 9, not January 2. (Mrs. Aldrich)
- Attending the Godspell performance was inspiring. (Mr. VanDerlip)
- Great presentation by Karen Archer on internet safety for middle schoolers (Ms. Paquette).
12. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 10:02 p.m.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools