- Last Updated on Wednesday, 06 March 2013 13:03
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m.
2. Executive Session On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 6:30 p.m., with the superintendent remaining. On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 7:15 p.m.
a. Evaluation of Employee
3. Return to Open Session 7:15 p.m.
4. Adjust/Review Agenda Addition of an action item to approve the hiring of an instructional assistant at Union Elementary School outside of the approved budget. Addition of FY13 second quarter financial report to the consent agenda. A second Executive Session will be added prior to adjournment.
5. Public Comments None.
6. Auditor’s Report – Mike Segale Mr. Segale summarized the FY12 audit report. There were no findings and there were no sufficient deficiencies or material weaknesses in internal controls. The Board applauded Business Manager Rossi for 21 years of clean audits with no findings.
7. Discuss New Procedures for Rentals – MPS Director of Facilities Thom Wood Mr. Wood presented and requested feedback on a new rental form and fee schedule for school district facilities. Mr. Wood explained that in the past certain groups have customarily asked for waivers of fees for use of this space, even though there are associated costs such as custodial fees, electricity, etc. The proposed rate structure varies depending on the type of user and the day of the week. Mr. Wood hopes to have a final product by the middle of March so that it can be implemented in FY14.
8. Update on District Searches Superintendent Ricca provided a copy of 16 V.S.A. §242, specifically duties of superintendents in regard to nominating candidates for hire. Mr. Robinson does not see this as a problem. Superintendent Ricca informed the Board that the deadline for applications for the two posted positions is February 15, with the vetting process to being in early March. Superintendent Ricca asked for volunteers to serve on the hiring committees. Mr. VanDerlip volunteered for either committee, Mrs. Bean volunteered for the support services committee, and Mr. Jones volunteered for the curriculum and technology committee.
9. Discuss Co-Curricular Parity Superintendent Ricca asked the Board what they are looking for in terms of data in order to assess this issue. Mr. Phillips asked for a five-year history of athletic and non-athletic co-curricular offerings. Mrs. Aldrich would like to know how certain clubs are classified such as the debate team, scholars bowl, and AFS. She would also like to know what kind of support is given to these clubs and participation numbers. Mr. Jones requested salary and non-salary component information. Superintendent Ricca hopes to have this information ready for the Board in early May.
10. Discuss Future Meeting Dates Superintendent Ricca asked board members for their preference on canceling the February 20th meeting in light of the fact that he will be out of town at a conference. The Board discussed the possibility of changing that meeting to February 27th, but the City Council wants to partner with the School Board on that date for a public vetting of bond items. Following discussion, there was consensus to go ahead with the scheduled meeting on February 20th in Superintendent Ricca’s absence for the purpose of addressing calendar items.
11. Discuss FY15 Budget Priorities Mr. VanDerlip would like to discuss grant revenue. Mr. Phillips would like to revisit the idea of moving 5th grade to Main Street Middle School. Mrs. Aldrich would like a report on NECAP results. Mr. Jones would like to see creativity in providing educational opportunities at the high school outside of the teacher/student model. Mrs. Bean would like to see the TA mentor relationship enhanced and enlarged. Mr. Phillips offered that starting the discussion this early is a great idea. Mr. Robinson added that while there has been a lot of talk about improving the budget process, he has seen few changes during his time on the Board. Mr. Phillips thinks starting the discussion this early will help with that.
12. Review Montpelier City Charter A draft copy of a section of the Montpelier Charter as it pertains to schools was provided. The City Council has requested feedback for their meeting in March. Mr. Robinson questioned whether the document in front of him represented changes and if so, he would like to see those changes. Superintendent Ricca will follow-up on this and e-mail board members about the changes in time for the next meeting on February 20th.
13. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of January 16, 2013
i) Jen Lahr
d. Financial Report
e. Co-Curricular Contract
Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mrs. Bean, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the January 16, 2013 regular meeting, Warrants 33 and 34 dated February 14, 2013 in the amounts of $560,024.52 and $23,320.70 respectively, a resignation, the FY13 second quarter financial report, and a co-curricular contract (see listing). Motion carried unanimously.
14. Action Item
a. Approve Hiring of an Instructional Assistant at Union Elementary School Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mr. Jones, to approve the hiring of an instructional assistant at Union Elementary School outside of the approved budget for a situation apprised of in Executive Session. Motion carried unanimously.
15. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
- Superintendent Ricca distributed a Barre Street School Bus Petition. He will investigate and report back.
- Good discussion about budget priorities. (Mr. VanDerlip)
- Mr. VanDerlip requested a future presentation on the preschool program.
- Superintendent Ricca announced that high school student Ben Field is pursuing the district’s first internship with a superintendent.
- Mrs. Bean appreciates the district’s new automatic messaging system.
16. Executive Session
a. Evaluation of Employee On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 8:52 p.m., with the superintendent remaining. On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 9:04 p.m.
17. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 9:04 p.m.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools