- Last Updated on Thursday, 01 July 2010 10:37
MEETING OF THE
MONTPELIER BOARD OF SCHOOL COMMISSIONERS
June 2, 2010
Minutes Approved: June 23, 2010
Board: Sue Aldrich, Carolyn Herz, John Hollar, Charlie Phillips, Steve Robinson, Rick Vanden Bergh, Lowell VanDerlip
Administration: Superintendent Mark Mason
Public: Owen Bradley, Cindy Hooker
Absent: Lucia Bragg, Sarah Richardson
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 7:08 p.m.
2. Adjust/Review Agenda Mr. Robinson would like to discuss his position as liaison to the Recreation Department. Mrs. Herz would like to discuss the summer retreat. Mr. Hollar would like to discuss the board's involvement in the principal hiring process. An Executive Session will be added prior to adjournment.
3. Public Comments None.
4. Recommendation of Owen Bradley as UES Principal Superintendent Mason introduced Mr. Bradley as the recommended hire for the UES principal position. Mr. VanDerlip touched on some of the reasons for the committee's recommendation. Mr. Robinson thanked Mr. VanDerlip for his efforts on this hiring committee. Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mr. Vanden Bergh, to approve the recommendation of Owen Bradley for the position of principal of Union Elementary School. Motion carried unanimously. The board wished outgoing principal Tim Francke the best of luck in his career pursuits.
5. Update on PowerSchool Cindy Hooker provided a handout and status update on the PowerSchool student information system.
6. Superintendent's Report
a. Rail Traffic Superintendent Mason updated the board on the school department's recent efforts to notify parents, students, and community members about safety issues in regard to increased rail traffic.
b. Summer Facility Projects Superintendent Mason informed the board that facility work efforts for the summer will be concentrated at UES.
c. Pam Arnold, Vermont Middle Level Principal of the Year MSMS Principal Pam Arnold has been selected as the Vermont Middle Level Principal of the Year. The official award presentation from the state will occur in August.
7. Discuss Superintendent Limitations Report A written report was provided. Superintendent Mason requested reconsideration of the policy language in regard to exposure to legal liability. Alternative language was discussed. Superintendent Mason will draft proposed language and send it to board members for consideration and approval.
a. 2.6 Asset Protection
8. Discuss Board Calendar of Standing Agenda Items A proposed calendar of agenda items was provided. Changes and additions were discussed.
9. Update on Status of Rockler Report The original report from Mr. Rockler has not been very useful. Mr. Vanden Bergh noted the importance of having an instrument that can be manipulated so that assumptions, etc. can be changed. Mr. Rockler has been responsive so far. The next meeting of the Finance Committee is scheduled for June 8, 2010.
10. Discuss Board Liaison to the Recreation Department Due to time constraints, other commitments, and his inability to attend meetings on a regular basis, Mr. Robinson inquired as to whether another board member might be willing to assume his role as liaison to the Recreation Department. Additionally, Mr. Robinson questioned the need for active participation and regular attendance at Recreation Advisory Board meetings. Mrs. Aldrich volunteered to serve with the condition that she attend monthly meetings rather than bi-monthly meetings. Mr. Robinson will notify interested parties of this transition.
11. Discuss Summer Retreat Heather will work on coordinating a date with the administrative team. Agenda items for the retreat will be discussed at the next meeting.
12. Discuss Board Involvement in the Principal Hiring Process The level of involvement was discussed at length. Certain members leaned toward more engagement in the process, while others felt it would be a clear violation of policy governance to get more involved. There was no consensus. The board will revisit this issue the next time a principal vacancy exists.
13. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of May 19, 2010
i) Alicia Lyford
d. Teacher Contracts
e. Authorize Superintendent to Submit Consolidated Federal Program Grant and to Receive and Expend Federal Funds
Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mrs. Aldrich, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the May 19, 2010 meeting, Warrants 53 and 54 dated June 3, 2010 in the amounts of $596,281.72 and $43,409.60 respectively, a teacher resignation, the recommendation to offer teaching contracts to Christopher Guros (special educator - MSMS), Aimee Viens (family and consumer science - MSMS), Ashley Dubois (special educator - MSMS), Rhonda Brace (art - MSMS), and Ludovic Buret (foreign language - MSMS), and authorization for the superintendent to submit the Consolidated Federal Program Grant and to receive and expend federal funds. Motion carried unanimously.
14. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/?)
Mrs. Aldrich attended a fantastic CBL graduation at Main Street Middle School. Mr. Vanden Bergh thanked and congratulated Mr. Davidian on his retirement. Mrs. Herz reported that all of the fundraising for the Steve Metcalf Courtyard has been accomplished. Mr. Hollar commented on the display of incredible sportsmanship at the first ultimate frisbee state tournament. Superintendent Mason pointed out the video equipment in the library that was obtained through a grant written by Sue Monmaney. This equipment will allow participation in professional conferencing, as well as virtual high school course offerings.
15. Executive Session On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 8:48 p.m., with the superintendent remaining. On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 8:55 p.m.
16. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 8:55 p.m.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools