- Last Updated on Wednesday, 17 April 2013 15:30
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m.
2. Executive Session On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 6:30 p.m., with the superintendent remaining. On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 7:03 p.m.
a. Employee Contracts
3. Return to Open Session 7:03 p.m.
4. Adjust/Review Agenda The Board will finish its reorganization
5. Public Comments None.
6. Finish Board Reorganization Mrs. Bean nominated Mr. VanDerlip for Treasurer. There were no further nominations and Mr. VanDerlip was elected unanimously. Mr. Phillips nominated Mrs. Bean for Parliamentarian. There were no further nominations and Mrs. Bean was elected unanimously.
7. Student Presentation Mrs. Fiorentino-Robinson and members of her first grade class demonstrated a vocabulary exercise performed during their morning meeting time.
8. Discussion with District Principals Regarding Professional Development Time Handouts were provided. Principal Arnold and Principal Bunting shared thoughts and observations in regard to their respective school’s PLC meeting time.
9. Discussion with UES and MSMS Principals Regarding Fifth Grade Mr. VanDerlip asked Principal Arnold if there were compelling reasons why moving the fifth grade to MSMS would not work. Principal Arnold asked for a forum to discuss the potential, noting the need to ensure that it is what’s best for kids and it is something the community wants. Principal Arnold also noted the need to look at the educational impact of this change. Mr. Phillips suggested a committee of administrators, educators and parents to study this. If this change were to happen, the MSMS building would need some remodeling. Mr. VanDerlip and Mr. Jones suggested board meetings at UES and MSMS to look at the actual space. Mr. Jones suggested using the next six months to identify a list of issues. Mr. Phillips would like a preliminary report before budget time and volunteered to serve on the committee, as did Mrs. Aldrich.
10. Review Enrollment Projections Enrollment projections were e-mailed to board members and reviewed.
11. Discuss Pre-K Programming A fact sheet on Act 62-prekindergarten education was provided. Mr. VanDerlip asked for more specifics on how the district’s preschool program works, i.e., who gets to go, the percentage of kids in kindergarten who used the pre-K program, current site locations, etc.
12. Discuss FY15 Budget Priorities Mr. Phillips would like to hear about particular areas where the district needs to allocate resources. In a retirement scenario, Mr. Jones suggested identifying alternatives to a 1-1 replacement at a lower cost. Mrs. Aldrich would like to focus on reaching out to sending schools in order to get more students. Mrs. Bean suggested following up with graduates again in order to identify where the holes are. In regard to the second bond, Mr. Jones suggested a casual discussion about building stronger partnerships with community organizations who also benefit from the district’s facilities, and working with the Boosters to identify others who could help build something better. Mr. Jones also noted the need for budgetary cooperation between Community Connections and the Recreation Department.
13. Discuss Superintendent Memos Superintendent Ricca asked for feedback on his memo, is there more/something else board members want? Mr. Jones expressed appreciation for the data and the format, echoed by Mr. VanDerlip.
14. Discuss April Meeting Dates Following discussion, there was consensus to move the April 3rd meeting to April 10th in light of the fact that Superintendent Ricca will be out of town on April 3rd. This will mean back-to-back meetings on April 10th and April 17th.
15. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of March 6, 2013
i) Jean Commito
d. Teacher Contract List
Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mr. VanDerlip, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the March 6, 2013 regular meeting, Warrants 39 and 40 dated March 28, 2013 in the amounts of $736,042.44 and $20,399.74 respectively, a teacher resignation, and the teacher contract list. Motion carried unanimously.
16. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
- Future agenda item – Marijke Russo and the debate club for a report on their recent trip to Oneonta, New York. Mr. Jones and Mrs. Aldrich volunteered to debate the students.
17. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 9:08 p.m.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools