- Last Updated on Monday, 15 July 2013 14:38
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 7:07 p.m.
2. Adjust/Review Agenda Addition of student presentation. Addition of a discussion item regarding the possibility of adding a fifth kindergarten class for the 2013-2014 school year.
3. Public Comments None.
4. Student Presentation Sally Aldrich and Ethan Herz presented part of a scene from the high school production of Romeo and Juliet.
5. Review Superintendent Evaluation Process The process and tools for evaluating the superintendent were discussed. Following discussion, it was decided that initial feedback will be gathered from board members and discussed with Superintendent Ricca in June, with more thorough feedback from other stakeholders by November.
6. Discuss Superintendent Limitations Report
a. 2.6 Asset Protection A written report, with a focus on technology, was provided.
7. Review Superintendent Limitations Policies Superintendent Ricca inquired as to what areas of these policies board members want his report to focus more strongly on. Mr. Phillips noted the need to establish “selling” of the district as a priority. A comprehensive review of the co-curricular program was previously discussed; this needs to be re-examined. An early summer meeting with the Admin. Team was suggested, with a follow-up meeting later in the summer. Mr. Phillips would like the Board to brainstorm on how to better improve relations with the community. Mrs. Braun suggested the use of social media for relaying factoids about the district.
a. 2.1 Treatment of Parents, Guardians, Students, and Citizens Mrs. Aldrich would like to hear from Superintendent Ricca on #9. Mr. VanDerlip would like Superintendent Ricca’s feedback on the mechanisms used or that could be used to assess #4. Mr. Jones suggested that Superintendent Ricca work with incoming UES Principal Chris Hennessey to enhance the district’s mechanisms for handling the areas identified in #3 and #5. Following discussion, it was decided that the focus of Superintendent Ricca’s report for the next meeting on June 5 will be #4, with substantive follow-up on #3 and #5 going forward.
b. 2.8 Communication and Support to the Board Mr. Phillips requested information on #3. Mr. VanDerlip expressed interest in a report on #1, although acknowledging that this may be an area for discussion with the incoming Director of Instruction and Information Systems, Michael Martin. Following discussion, it was decided that the focus of Superintendent Ricca’s report for the next meeting on June 5 will be #3, with follow-up with Mr. Martin on #1 going forward.
8. Discuss FY15 Budget Priorities Superintendent Ricca inquired of board members as to their thoughts on the timeline he sketched out. Mr. Jones identified as a priority the need to look at the revenue pieces. Also identified as a priority was the need to figure out where the potential for growth is, as well as gathering information on why families are electing alternatives. Mr. VanDerlip recognized the need for an approach that allows creativity.
9. Discuss Addition of Fifth Kindergarten Class for 2013-2014 The UES looping plan was emailed to board members by Superintendent Ricca. High registration numbers necessitate the addition of a fifth kindergarten classroom for the upcoming school year. At this point the Board needs to decide if the fifth second-grade classroom that was added for the current school year continues to third grade. It is time to evaluate progress in that classroom. Superintendent Ricca will gather feedback from the current second-grade teachers. The class size policy needs to be reviewed. Mr. VanDerlip moved, seconded by Mr. Phillips, to approve the hiring of a fifth kindergarten teacher for the 2013-2014 school year. Motion carried unanimously.
10. Approve 2013-2014 School Calendar Mr. VanDerlip moved, seconded by Mr. Phillips, to approve the calendar for the 2013-2014 school year as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of May 1, 2013
c. Teacher Contract
Mr. VanDerlip moved, seconded by Mr. Jones, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the May 1, 2013 regular meeting, Warrants 47 and 48 dated May 23, 2013 in the amounts of $756,549.10 and $30,633.21 respectively and the recommendation to offer a teaching contract to Julie Morton (SOAR – MHS). Motion carried unanimously.
12. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
- Congratulations to Julia Gilbert on winning the Presidential Scholar Award. Julia named Lyman Castle as her most influential teacher.
- The Contemporary Dance and Fitness Studio performance is this coming weekend.
- Congratulations to MHS teacher Kerrin McCadden on winning the 2013 New Issues Poetry Prize.
- Congratulations to MSMS on a successful evacuation drill.
- Superintendent Ricca will email confirmation of the various graduation dates.
- Superintendent Ricca will follow up with incoming UES Principal Chris Hennessey regarding institution of a foreign language program at the elementary school.
13. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 9:18 p.m.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools