- Last Updated on Monday, 22 July 2013 09:54
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m.
2. Executive Session On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 6:30 p.m., with the superintendent remaining. On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 7:07 p.m.
a. Evaluation of Employee
3. Return to Open Session 7:07 p.m.
4. Adjust/Review Agenda Addition of two teacher nominations to the consent agenda. Superintendent Ricca requested the addition of a discussion item in regard to the RFP for roof design.
5. Public Comments None.
6. Discuss Field Trip
a. Montreal – Andrea Myotte Students Colleen Quinn and Daniel Grosvenor-Hoye explained how this field trip relates to their curriculum. Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mrs. Braun, to approve Andrea Myotte’s field trip request to Montreal on June 13, 2013. Motion carried unanimously.
7. Discuss Superintendent Limitations Reports A written report was provided. Mr. Phillips commented that the report did not further his understanding of the school system. Following that comment, the Board had a frank discussion about the efficacy of the superintendent limitations reports. In terms of reports from the administration, Mr. Phillips said he is looking for a different kind of format. He sees no need to spend time on the limitations reports. Mrs. Aldrich echoed Mr. Phillips’ comment. Mr. VanDerlip feels having a framework to work from is helpful. He likes having a structure and a calendar. Following discussion, it was decided that as each policy comes up for reporting, the Board will review the policy and really pare down for Superintendent Riccca the specific information they want to receive at the next meeting. Mr. VanDerlip suggested one way for the Board to get feedback would be to implement the questionnaire they discussed.
a. 2.1 Treatment of Parents, Guardians, Students and Citizens
b. 2.8 Communication and Support to the Board
8. Review Superintendent Limitations Policies The Board began compiling a list of parking lot items. Under policy 2.4, Mr. Phillips wants a report on special education costs from the new Director of Support Services. Under policy 2.6, #9, Mr. Phillips wants information relative to a prior issue involving confusion over property belonging to either the Montpelier Theater Guild or the elementary school. Under policy 2.7, #3, Mr. Phillips wants an overall sense of what’s going on. Mr. VanDerlip wants a reporting on policy 2.6, #10. According to Mrs. Braun, policy 2.1, #5 is an area that needs work. In that regard, Mrs. Braun asked Superintendent Ricca to find out why the eNews is not longer being published.
a. 2.2 Treatment of Staff
b. 2.3 Financial Condition and Activities
9. Visit with MHS Principal Principal Bunting presented the proposed schedule for MHS for 2013-2014. The major change in the schedule is a shift to block scheduling. Classes will expand from 45-minute periods to 85-minute blocks. Teacher advisory has been expanded from 8 minutes a week to 40 minutes a week. There is also time dedicated to recess/health-wellness. Mr. VanDerlip inquired about the possibility of a year-end student exit survey. While happy to do it, Principal Bunting questioned the wisdom of any additional year-end activities. He believes a more appropriate time for student polling would be around semester break.
10. Set Annual Calendar Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mr. Jones, to approve the annual calendar as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Discuss Roof Design RFP A summary of the roof design RFP was distributed. A total of six firms were asked to respond and the district received only two proposals. A school district employee owns the firm with the lowest proposal and this is the firm being recommended to do the work. School board members are concerned about the conflict of interest this presents. Mr. Phillips suggested having both firms attend a future school board meeting to make their pitch. Superintendent Ricca will follow-up with City Manager Bill Fraser to see if the City has ever encountered a similar situation. Mr. VanDerlip suggested contacting an attorney for their advice, noting the importance of approaching this matter both legally and ethically.
12. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of May 15, 2013
i) Carol Kelley
d. Teacher Contracts
e. Authorize Superintendent to Submit Consolidated Federal Program Grant and to Receive and Expend Federal Funds
Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mrs. Bean, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the May 15, 2013 regular meeting, Warrants 49 and 50 dated June 6, 2013 in the amounts of $597,497.24 and $15,240.69 respectively, a teacher resignation, the recommendation to offer teaching contracts to Sarah Mele (school nurse – UES), Joshua Parker (math – MSMS/MHS), Nancy Mears (Grade 3 – UES), Clarissa Adams (Grade 5 – UES), Rebecca Cadone (literacy coach – UES), Heather McLane (social studies – MHS) and Ann Nelson (SLP – UES) and authorization for the superintendent to submit the Consolidated Federal Program Grant and to receive and expend federal funds. Motion carried unanimously.
13. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
- Congratulations to the boys’ lacrosse team on today’s playdown win in two overtimes.
- The MSMS 100th anniversary celebration is next Wednesday, June 12, 2013.
- Tonight is Meghan’s last meeting. Thanks for being a great student representative and good luck in college.
- The 1st Annual State of Vermont Economic Development Summit was held on Monday, June 3, 2013.
- Mrs. Aldrich encouraged board members to attend the MSMS CBL celebration on Tuesday, June 11, 2013.
- Ms. Paquette requested an addition to the list of parking lot items – assistant for Chris Hennessey at UES.
- The Girls on the Run 5K event is this coming Saturday.
- Congratulations to the Ultimate Frisbee team on their third place finish in state competition.
14. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 8:56 p.m.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools