- Last Updated on Monday, 22 July 2013 09:56
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m.
2. Adjust/Review Agenda Superintendent Ricca requested the addition of an item in regard to the process for reviewing and signing warrants.
3. Public Comments None.
4. Visit with MHS Graduates Recent graduates Anthony Barrows, Madeline Murray-Clasen, Caroline Kessler and Devin Tomasi talked about their high school experiences. The Board asked the four graduates to return at a later date to discuss their college/work experiences.
5. Discuss Roof Design Bid Proposals Wood Construction withdrew their bid. Feedback was not favorable. Further discussion warranted.
6. Discuss FY15 Budget Priorities The Board began discussing the list. The list is long. Need to work on technology. Discussed electronic portfolios. Design a system for feedback. Find a system to help students shine, also outside plays a huge factor. Mr. Phillips mentioned that the bond and interest payments come up in 2015. Discussion of preschool and foreign language being offered at the elementary school, along with possible movement of the fifth grade to Main Street.
7. Discuss Superintendent Limitations Report 2.1 #3 Mr. Hennessey and Superintendent Ricca had a parents night, which was very productive. Parents would like to see more opportunities to communicate. They are also looking for different types of communication. Superintendent Ricca and Mr. Hennessey discussed the school website, so that parents would have more specific questions answered and easier to find. Establish a back and forth feedback. Mrs. Braun would like to see the newsletter brought back, something more dynamic.
8. Discuss August Retreat Dates and Details The Board discussed whether it should be half or full days. How many days should it be, one or two? The Board decided on two half days in early August. Superintendent Ricca will follow-up with the Board to schedule the days and times.
9. Discuss Framework for Future Meetings with Mary Lundeen and Michael Martin The Board would like to see from Mary Lundeen the caseloads and cost to provide the best service. Mr. VanDerlip would like to see from Michael Martin how he plans to visit the buildings and classes. How he will get a fix of the classrooms. Mrs. Bean would like to see Mr. Martin’s five year and ten year plans for our systems and hardware. Mrs. Braun would like to know if and how the Smart Boards are being used. The Board would like to see from them their overall snapshot and budget.
10. Authorize the Board Chairman and/or the Board Clerk/Treasurer to Sign Warrants A handout was provided. Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mr. Jones, to authorize the Board Chairman or the Board Clerk/Treasurer to sign warrants on behalf of the entire Board between scheduled meetings. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of June 5, 2013
Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mrs. Bean, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the June 5, 2013 regular meeting, Warrants 51 and 52 dated June 20, 2013 in the amounts of $385,638.31 and $36,122.42 respectively, Warrants 53 and 54 dated June 28, 2013, and Warrants 1 and 2 dated July 3, 2013 in the amounts of $740,000.00 and $55,000.00 respectively. Motion carried unanimously.
12. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
- Congratulations to the girls’ tennis team on their state championship.
- Congratulations to all the graduates.
13. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 8:58 p.m.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools