- Last Updated on Monday, 16 September 2013 12:54
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m. by Vice-Chairperson Charlie Phillips.
2. Adjust/Review Agenda Warrants were removed from the Consent Agenda.
3. Public Comments Dick Powell introduced himself as a representative of the semi-pro football team Vermont Ravens. Due to a scheduling conflict with their home field, Mr. Powell presented a proposal for the team’s use of the football field at Montpelier High School during the last weekend of September of this year. Discussion ensued regarding gate receipts, concessions, EMT/police coverage, liability insurance, etc. The proposal will be turned over to the Principal and the Athletic Director at Montpelier High School for further consideration.
4. Update on Summer Facility Projects – MPS Director of Facilities Thom Wood Director of Facilities Thom Wood provided substantial information regarding the bond and maintenance projects completed over the summer. Also discussed were future projects where community feedback is being sought, and Mr. Wood asked for Board volunteers to sit in on these discussions. Included on the list of future projects is the bleacher issue at MHS, the auditorium at MHS, and a parking lot at MHS to perhaps accommodate the State. Mrs. Bean volunteered for the parking group, Mr. Jones for the auditorium group, and Mr. Phillips for the athletic group. Also discussed was the window replacement project at MSMS and MHS. Mr. Wood requested global feedback on that project as well.
5. Discuss Proposed City Charter Re: School District Documents detailing proposed changes to the City Charter were provided. Mr. Jones inquired as to the School Board’s specific responsibility to the City Council regarding charter changes. Superintendent Ricca will follow up with City Manager Bill Fraser.
6. Discuss Community Reaction to School District Budget Increases Tabled.
7. Update on Technology Audit A written report was provided. According to Superintendent Ricca, the report is a little worse than expected. The estimated cost to “get the house in order” is $80,000. All non-essential purchases have been put on hold. Superintendent Ricca will begin work on an RFP to solicit bids to address substantial needs. He hopes to have additional information by the early part of October with a recommendation as to which direction to go.
8. Discuss Goals for Admin. Team/Board Retreat Possible agenda items for tomorrow’s meeting with the Admin. Team were discussed. Suggested items included FY15 budget priorities, budget process, getting to know new administrators, curriculum development and role of the board, evaluation system re: equity and feasibility, parking lot review, and a timeline regarding the possibility of moving 5th grade to MSMS.
9. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of July 17, 2013
b. Unpaid Leave of Absence Requests
c. Athletic Trainer Contract
d. Co-Curricular Contract
Mr. VanDerlip moved, seconded by Mr. Jones, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the July 17, 2013 regular meeting, two unpaid leave of absence requests, the recommendation to offer an Athletic Trainer contract to Seth McCoy, and a co-curricular contract (see listing). Motion carried unanimously.
10. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
- Ben Field and Alex Stetter were welcomed as the new student representatives to the Board.
- Mr. VanDerlip requested an overview of school opening and an enrollment update at the next meeting on September 4th.
- The Board extended well wishes to cameraman Anthony Barrows as he heads off to college.
11. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 8:59 p.m.
Field Hockey: Varsity Coach
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools