- Last Updated on Wednesday, 13 November 2013 11:45
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 7:03 p.m.
2. Adjust/Review Agenda Add update on RFP for riverbank stabilization project.
3. Public Comments None.
4. Update on RFP for Riverbank Stabilization Project A copy of the RFP, project details, and bids received were provided. Mr. McMullen requested permission to move the project forward with the low bid. The Recreation Board has approved this request. Mr. Jones moved, seconded by Mr. Phillips, to accept the recommendation of the Recreation Board to go forward with the riverbank stabilization project based on the bid presented by Mr. McMullen. Motion carried unanimously.
5. Visit with MHS Principal Principal Bunting reported on the first few weeks of school at MHS. Items discussed included recess, Soar, advisory, and the new block schedule.
6. Visit with Instructional Coaches The Board visited with the math, literacy, and behavior coaches at UES and with the literacy coach at MSMS regarding their roles and responsibilities in their respective buildings. PowerPoint presentations and handouts were provided.
7. Update on Staffing, Enrollment and Tuition Students A handout was provided detailing staffing, enrollment, and tuition student numbers. Mr. VanDerlip inquired as to the percentage of kindergarten students who had preschool experience or a group setting experience.
8. Update on Communication Plan The Board is interested in identifying topics with budgetary impacts and discussing those matters in detail at select board meetings before the heart of budget season. The schedule of topic discussions will be publicized using various forms of media. People specifically interested in each topic will be invited to attend. Topics for future meetings were discussed. The next meeting on September 18th will take place at Union Elementary School. Topic discussions will include foreign language at UES and the possibility of moving 5th grade to MSMS.
9. Discuss 5th Grade Report Expectations Superintendent Ricca asked the Board for specifics on what they want in the report from Principal Arnold. Mrs. Aldrich would like to know how Principal Arnold and the middle school teachers think a possible move of the 5th grade to MSMS will affect the middle school philosophy. Mr. Jones would like to hear about the possibility of a 5-6 loop, whether there’s an obvious location for an additional 75 kids, and how that physically gets managed. Mr. Phillips believes moving the 5th grade to MSMS would be a neutral educationally, but if it’s a bad combination he would like to know about it. Mr. VanDerlip is interested in knowing if moving the 5th grade to MSMS would have a negative effect on the overall population of the school and what’s manageable. He also noted the need to look at the general school population and what it’s going to cost. Mr. VanDerlip suggested identifying the priority, looking at the way the district utilizes space, and taking a more historical view of both buildings. Superintendent Ricca suggested separating the economic piece from Principal Arnold’s report.
10. Discuss Budget Priorities – Review Admin/Board Retreat Passed over.
11. Discuss Schedule of Reports for Fall – Special Education and Curriculum & Technology Possible meeting dates for visits with the new Director of Support Services and the new Director of Curriculum & Technology were discussed. It was decided that Superintendent Ricca and Mrs. Aldrich will work on scheduling these visits during their agenda planning.
12. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of August 21, 2013
c. Teacher Contracts
Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mr. VanDerlip, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the August 21, 2013 regular meeting, Warrants 13, 14 and 15 dated September 12, 2013 in the amounts of $535,000.00, $37,000.00 and $189,240.79 respectively, and the recommendation to offer teaching contracts to Thomas Cate (music – UES) and George Vassiliadis (foreign language – MSMS). Motion carried unanimously.
13. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
- Mrs. Aldrich reminded people about the upcoming meeting with Mayor Hollar on September 17, 2013 at Noble Hall.
- Mrs. Bean alerted people as to a parking survey on the City’s website. The school district will be publicizing the link to that survey on their website as well.
14. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the board voted unanimously to adjourn at 9:16 p.m.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools