- Last Updated on Thursday, 06 March 2014 11:08
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 7:02 p.m.
2. Adjust/Review Agenda No changes.
3. Public Comments None.
4. Visit with MHS Principal Principal Bunting spoke about the new MHS Learning Expectations. Five high school students shared assessments tied to the new Learning Expectations. Anders Heyerdahl shared his Carr Lot planning project from a science class. Alex Stetter discussed her work at the State House and with the Commission on Women. Rowan McMullan presented a writing piece for his American Literature class. Molly Holt shared her SOAR exhibition. John Moccia shared his presentation on The Great Race of Mercy.
5. Visit with Director of Facilities Mr. Wood updated the Board on important facets of each of the buildings.
The district heat project at UES is operational and essentially finished. There is a $40,000 piece of equipment still needed to address the building exhaust system but that will be bid as a separate project. The system is currently operating 14-15% more efficiently and is going to save the district money. There were some changes in the scope of the work along the way – specifically eleven change orders over four months totaling $53,622 – and Mr. Wood asked the Board to formally add that work to the contract. Mr. Jones questioned the process of asking the Board to approve change orders after work is already completed and asked for clarity as to how this might be avoided in the future. Mr. Jones went on to say that he was comfortable approving the change orders because the total contract with the changes was still less than the bond value for the project. Mr. VanDerlip moved, seconded by Mr. Phillips, to approve funding for the change orders made for the district heat hookup and distribution at Union Elementary School and to ask for further clarification on rules and handling of future change orders. Motion carried unanimously.
Regarding bond work, an RFP for complete removal and replacement of the roof at MSMS was submitted and three bids were received. The low bid was from Palmieri Roofing of St. Johnsbury, Vermont in the amount of $138,000. Mr. Wood recommended acceptance of this bid. Mr. Wood reported that he is actively engaged in negotiating a contract with Palmieri and it is his hope that the work can be completed over April break. Mr. VanDerlip moved, seconded by Mr. Jones, to approve Mr. Wood’s recommendation to accept the bid of Palmieri Roofing in the amount of $138,000 for removal and replacement of the roof at MSMS. Motion carried unanimously.
An RFP for designing changes to the auditorium at Montpelier High School was issued and bids were received. Mr. Wood recommended that the Board accept the bid of Arocordis. Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mr. VanDerlip, to approve Mr. Wood’s recommendation to accept the bid from Arocordis for design of the lighting, seating and acoustical changes to the auditorium at Montpelier High School. Motion carried unanimously. The Board will solicit community input and feedback on the proposed changes once the design is complete and before any work begins.
RFPs for design work for several other projects have also been issued. These projects include removal and replacement of the roof at Union Elementary School, bathroom renovations at Union Elementary School, Main Street Middle School and Montpelier High School, and renovation of two classrooms at Main Street Middle School to accommodate the possible relocation of the fifth grade to that building. Bids were received from Black River Design and Gossens Bachman Architects. Mr. Wood reported that he had spoken with Black River Design and they are capable of meeting his schedule. Mr. Wood recommended that the Board to accept the bids of Black River Design with the idea of packaging the design work for the projects and working with Black River Design to negotiate a reduction in total design work costs. Mr. Jones moved, seconded by Mr. Phillips, to approve Mr. Wood’s recommendation to accept the bids of Black River Design and package the work with the hope of reducing overall design work expenses. Motion carried unanimously.
Finally, Mr. Wood informed the Board that the school district participated in an RFP solicited by the City of Montpelier for solar energy proposals. The RFPs are in and analysis is ongoing to determine whether or not this makes sense.
6. Discuss FY15 Budget Follow-Up and Next Steps Mr. VanDerlip requested drafts of the city report documents in November or December. Mr. Philips asked to hear very specifically about class size after town meeting. Mr. VanDerlip’s proposal regarding formation of a program/finance committee was discussed. Board members were asked to give further consideration to some of the information discussed at tonight’s meeting, including committee makeup, charge and leadership, and to come prepared for further discussion on this matter at the next meeting on March 5th.
7. Review Superintendent Limitation Policy 2.8 – Communication and Support to the Board Tabled.
8. Action Item
a. Approve Spiral International Agreement Mr. VanDerlip moved, seconded by Mr. Phillips, to support and authorize the Board Chair to sign the Agreement with Spiral International subject to the two language amendments noted in the October 2, 2013 Minutes. Motion carried unanimously. In addition, Superintendent Ricca reported on a recent meeting with Emily Guo and MPS Director of Curriculum & Technology Mike Martin discussing efforts for creating an MPS/Asian connection. Two MPS teachers, one in grade 4 and one in grade 7, have volunteered to begin working on this project.
9. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of January 15, 2014
b. Minutes of January 22, 2014
d. Financial Report
e. Co-Curricular Contract
Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mrs. Braun, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the January 15, 2014 regular meeting, minutes of the January 22, 2014 special meeting, Warrants 39, 40 and 41 dated February 13, 2014 in the amounts of $545,594.60, $65,042.82 and $23,906.67 respectively, Warrants, 42 and 43 dated February 27, 2014 in the amounts of $859,355.35 and $23,241.04 respectively, the FY14 second quarter financial report, and a co-curricular contract (see listing). Motion carried unanimously.
10. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
- The high school is building a chicken coop (Ben Field).
11. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the Board voted unanimously to adjourn at 9:15 p.m.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools