- Last Updated on Tuesday, 31 March 2015 08:52
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 7:04 p.m.
2. Public Comments None in advance of the priorities discussion.
3. Discuss FY16 Budget Priorities The Board worked on identifying three to five top priorities to guide the Leadership Team in their upcoming work on the FY16 budget. Items rising to the top of the list included facilities, the arts, and a 5:1 student-to-staff ratio. Other items on the list included maintaining teacher excellence, PE/sports, technology, foreign language, and extra-curriculars.
Mr. Phillips asked for justifiable class sizes, as well as a concerted effort to attract tuition students and a concerted effort to seek out opportunities for collaboration with U-32. Mr. Jones identified working on outcomes for lower-performing students as a desired priority. The need for both a short-term and a long-term plan for technology was noted.
The Board also discussed asking the Leadership Team for three budgets, one with a 0% increase, one with a 3.5% increase, which is the estimated increase to maintain the status quo and existing obligations, and one with a 5% increase. A few parents spoke against the suggestion of a 0% increase, saying it did not make sense and was not the right starting place for the District’s children. Resident Chris Curtis said if the Board needs 3.5% to maintain, then that’s the starting point for the conversation. Other residents in attendance expressed appreciation for the brainstorming and thanked the Board for the process of discussion. Mr. Jones noted the importance of showing the consequences of what a 0% increase would look like. Mr. Phillips agreed, saying he would never vote for it but saw it as a good starting point.
4. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
- Mr. VanDerlip hopes to have the report of the Program/Finance Committee for the next board packet.
- Mr. Jones requested to delay discussion on his proposal to move forward in joining Montpelier middle and high schools with U-32 from the October 22nd meeting to the November 5th meeting since he cannot attend the meeting on October 22nd.
- When the agenda for the November 5th meeting is prepared, Mr. Jones asked for inclusion of a student presentation featuring enrollment projections – 10 minutes maximum.
5. Executive Session On a motion duly made and seconded, the Board voted unanimously to enter Executive Session at 9:33 p.m. On a motion duly made and seconded, the Board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 9:58 p.m.
a. Contract Negotiations
6. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the Board voted unanimously to adjourn at 9:58 p.m.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools