- Last Updated on Thursday, 05 March 2015 10:21
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m.
2. Executive Session Mr. Phillips moved that the Board find that discussing contract negotiations in open session would put the Board at a substantial disadvantage. Mr. Jones seconded and the motion carried unanimously at 6:31 p.m. Mr. Jones moved that the Board enter into executive session in accordance with 1 VSA §313 to discuss contract negotiations. Mrs. Bean seconded and the motion carried unanimously at 6:31 p.m. On a motion duly made and seconded, the Board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 7:13 p.m.
a. Contract Negotiations
3. Return to Open Session 7:13 p.m.
4. Adjust/Review Agenda No changes.
5. Public Comments None.
6. Legislative Update from Mary Hooper Representative Mary Hooper provided the Board with an update in regard to current happenings in the State House. She asked board members for feedback on the issues of imposing contracts and binding
7. Presentation by Principal Bunting and Anne Watson Regarding Additional Revenue Streams by MHS Principal Bunting and science teacher Anne Watson gave a PowerPoint presentation sharing their ideas for attracting international and domestic students to MHS. Following the presentation and discussion, there was board consensus for continued efforts in this regard. Ms. Watson will gather and outline the things that need to happen the soonest and report back to the Board with some sort of a plan.
8. Presentation by Director of Curriculum & Technology Michael Martin and Principal Adam Bunting Regarding Senate Education Committee Testimony Mr. Martin and Principal Bunting gave a PowerPoint presentation recapping their and Mrs. Aldrich’s recent testimony to the Senate Education Committee.
9. UES Playground Update Sarah McKearnan and UES Principal Chris Hennessey presented the Board with a resolution for signature in support of a Land and Water Conservation Fund grant application. If awarded, the grant will be used to help fund the UES playground project. Ms. McKearnan explained that the purpose of the resolution was only to green light the grant application, and the provisions of the resolution would not be in force unless and until the grant was awarded and accepted. One such provision requires that the school district hold the lands for recreational purposes in perpetuity. Ms. McKearnan said that although the school district would not be making this commitment until they signed the grant agreement, she wanted to ensure everybody understood this. She also pointed out the provision requiring matching funds. Mr. Jones expressed reluctance to approve the resolution absent a specific number for those matching funds. Ms. McKearnan again pointed out that even with putting in a specific number, the Board was not committing to an exact designation of this boundary now. Following further discussion, Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Mr. Jones, to approve the application for the Federal Land and Water Conservation Fund for the project entitled, “Union School Playground Project”, with the figure of $227,535 filled in under #3 and the name Brian Ricca filled in under #5. Motion carried unanimously.
10. Review Superintendent Limitations Policy 2.8 – Communication and Support to the Board Passed over.
11. Review and Discuss “Gold Policies” Passed over.
12. Consent Agenda
a. Minutes of February 4, 2015
Mr. Phillips moved, seconded by Ms. Paquette, to approve the consent agenda including minutes of the February 4, 2015 regular meeting and Warrants 44 and 45 dated February 26, 2015 in the amounts of $817,373.86 and $24,702.47 respectively. Motion carried unanimously.
13. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
- The school board candidate interviews filmed by Orca are worth watching.
- Mr. Jones suggested a future agenda item in regard to a discussion of possible approaches for funding the MHS auditorium project.
- Mrs. Bean requested a future agenda item for a discussion in regard to school foundations.
- Great concert last night, although attendance a little light. Again discussed the need to get announcements about school performances out to the community.
14. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the Board voted unanimously to adjourn at 9:22 p.m.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools