- Last Updated on Tuesday, 08 September 2015 09:32
1. Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m.
2. Adjust/Review Agenda Superintendent Ricca requested addition of an agenda item for consideration of a 0.2 FTE facilities position for phone support.
3. Public Comments None.
4. Hear VSECU Parking Proposal Steve Avery, Vice President of Facilities at Vermont State Employees Credit Union, presented a concept proposal for the construction of a 50 car parking lot using the available space next to the MHS auditorium, while also preserving the green space. Draft sketches were provided. Following discussion, it was determined that there is sufficient interest in the proposal to warrant further conversation.
5. Discuss Additional 0.2 FTE Facilities Position for Phone Support Superintendent Ricca reported on the need for additional phone support to address programming issues. There was $24,000 added to this year’s phone budget to address phone inadequacies. Superintendent Ricca requested use of approximately $13,500 of that money for this year to support additional time to manage phone issues in-house with an appropriately trained staff member. Following discussion, Mr. Jones moved, seconded by Mrs. Braun, to reallocate some of the $24,000 to supplement a current 0.8 FTE position into a 1.0 FTE position for the purpose of phone support. Mr. Jones reminded Superintendent Ricca of the need to document this staffing change in future budgets in the event maintaining this additional 0.2 FTE in future years becomes necessary. Motion carried unanimously.
6. Presentation by Steve Dale, Executive Director of Vermont School Boards Association, on H.361 Mr. Dale gave a PowerPoint presentation introducing Act 46. Topics discussed included purposes, general strategy, elements of approach, incentives for action, timetable, recommended approach, possible paths, and considerations for Montpelier.
7. Hear Perspective from Legislators on H.361 Washington County Representative Mary Hooper and Senators Ann Cummings, Bill Doyle and Anthony Pollina provided additional history and information in regard to Act 46 and shared some of their thoughts and concerns about this new education law.
8. Question and Answer Session on H.361 Audience members were afforded the opportunity to ask questions in regard to tonight’s presentation and the new education law.
9. Consent Agenda
b. Teacher Contracts
Mrs. Braun moved, seconded by Mr. Jones, to approve the consent agenda including Warrants 1 and 2 dated July 9, 2015 in the amounts of $786,686.72 and $75,936.84 respectively, Warrants 3, 4 and 5 dated July 23, 2015 in the amounts of $785,000.00, $67,000.00 and $21,784.70 respectively, and the recommendation to offer teaching contracts to Rachel Popoli (Grade 2 – UES), Trees-ah Elder (school nurse – MSMS) and Sarah Mele (school nurse – UES). Motion carried unanimously.
10. Announcements/Review Meeting (+/∆)
- Ms. Muncy inquired as to the meeting time in August and the possibility of Val Gardner facilitating a conversation about Board goals for next year.
11. Executive Session Mrs. Braun moved that the Board find that discussing contract negotiations in open session would put the Board at a substantial disadvantage. Ms. Muncy seconded and the motion carried unanimously at 9:23 p.m. Mr. Jones moved that the Board enter into Executive Session in accordance with 1 VSA §313 to discuss contract negotiations. Ms. Paquette seconded and the motion carried unanimously at 8:58 p.m. On a motion duly made and seconded, the Board voted unanimously to leave Executive Session at 9:45 p.
a. Contract Negotiations
Action Taken None.
12. Adjournment On a motion duly made and seconded, the Board voted unanimously to adjourn at 9:45 p.m.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools