- Last Updated on Thursday, 13 August 2015 09:24
First Grade English Language Arts Curriculum
- Applies phonics and word analysis skills to decode words. (RF.1.3)
- Reads accurately and fluently to meet grade level expectation. (RF1.4)
- Asks and answers questions about main ideas and key details in literary and informational text. (RL.1.1), (RI.1.1)
- Describes connections between ideas, individuals, events, or pieces of information in a text. (RI.1.3)
- Uses illustrations and text features to describe key ideas (RI.1.7).
- Describe settings and events in a story. Compare and contrast characters. (RL.1.3), (RL.1.9)
- Explains major differences between books that tell stories and books that give information. (RL.1.5)
- Writes opinion pieces that introduce a point of view, support it with reasons, and provide a sense of closure. (W.1.1)
- Writes informative texts with a clear topic, facts, transition words, and a sense of closure. (W.1.2)
- Writes narratives with clear sequence of events, transition words, details, and sense of closure. (W1.3)
- Strengthens writing by planning, revising, and editing, or by trying a new approach
- Writes legibly and uses correct capitalization and punctuation (L.1.2)
- Spells grade level high frequency words correctly; Spells untaught words phonetically. (L.1.2)
Speaking and Listening
- Participate in collaborative conversations with peers and adults, builds on others’ talk by responding to the comments of others.
- Ask and answer questions about key details in a text read aloud or information presented orally or through other media.
- Describe people, places, things and events with relevant details, expressing ideas and feelings clearly and in complete sentences.
- Expands vocabulary through conversations, reading, and being read to (L.1.6)
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools